Tech Support Forum banner

Fastest Method To Transfer/Backup Data To External Drive

4K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  tomohawk 
#1 ·
Once a week I backup all my Libraries to an external SSD (from my internal SSD)

I simply use copy/paste from File Explorer (I'm using Windows 10 Pro)

The transfer rate varies from 50Mb/s to 140Mb/s and seems to take a long time (10-20 mins).

40Gb of data

Is there a speedier way to do this.

Also, if my internal drive was M2, would this make any difference.

Tommy

#34 · (Edited)
I've used Macrium Reflect for years without problem. All tests show it works great, and the 2 times I've had to recover real system using MR backup files worked flawlessly. And yes...don't ASSUME a backup program works. You should verify backups can in fact be 100% restored in a suitable test.
In addition, in combination with scripts and Windows scheduler, MR can become extremely powerful and convenient, with automatic unattended scheduled monthly, weekly, and daily backups, and distribution to off-site storage as well, with emails sent to appropriate personnel as needed if they need to do something specific.
Depending on the type of data you backup, MR's compression feature MAY also significantly reduce the time required to backup the data by reducing the volume of data backed up before getting sent to the storage media and/or over the network to storage media. However, already highly-compressed files (like video files) benefit least from this feature.

Equally important in my opinion...
I also use Uninterrupted Power Supplies that provide at least 30 minutes of power if AC mains power is interrupted. That is enough time to kick-off automated scripts to do an incremental backup of critical files, if not the entire system. I use both APC and CyberPower 1325VA (~800Watts) Sine-wave UPS units. Keep in mind the more power your system and accessories consume, the less time a given UPS will provide power to them during a power failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.