Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once a week I backup all my Libraries to an external SSD (from my internal SSD)

I simply use copy/paste from File Explorer (I'm using Windows 10 Pro)

The transfer rate varies from 50Mb/s to 140Mb/s and seems to take a long time (10-20 mins).

40Gb of data

Is there a speedier way to do this.

Also, if my internal drive was M2, would this make any difference.

Tommy

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,634 Posts
A free backup 3rd party app would do it automatically.

Reactions: tomohawk

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) What is the make and model number of the external drive?

2) How do you have the external drive connected to your computer?
Hi SpywareDr
It's a Toshiba DTB410 (1Tb) drive and I use the USB Cable supplied with the drive.
Tommy

·
7,738 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The USB 2.0 interface can do up to 480 Mb/s and USB 3.0 up to 5,000 Mb/s.(5 Gb/s).

Internally the Toshiba DTB410 contains a 5,400 RPM (read s-l-o-w) hard drive.
Thanks SpywareDr
As far as I am aware, I am connecting from USB3 to USB3
UPDATED: I thought the Toshiba was an SSD.
If I would replace the external backup drive, what would be the speed I should be looking for?
I assume as I am backing up TO the external drive, then it is WRITE speed I should be paying attention to.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
41,801 Posts
If you don't need portability, then an internal SSD drive would be the quickest transfer rate

·
7,738 Posts
For sure. A SSD is roughly 100 times faster than a HDD.

SATA Revision 2.0 3 Gbit/s 300 MB/s
SATA Revision 3.0 6 Gbit/s 600 MB/s

USB 2.0 high speed 480 Mbit/s 60 MB/s
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 5 Gbit/s 500 MB/s
USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ 10 Gbit/s 1.212 GB/s

What is the Difference Between SSD and HDD?
SSD vs HDD Speed

Hard drive speeds are measured in MegaBytes per second or MBps. There are several factors that affect SSD vs HDD speeds.

The RPM of an HDD’s platter determines how fast you can read and write data. The higher the RPM, the faster the hard drive will be. The RPM rate of most hard drives ranges from 5,400 to 15,000. A SATA III data connection is capable of a maximum of 600MBps transfer rate, but the RPM of the HDD determines the final output. A hard drive with a 5,400 RPM will have a speed of around 100MBps. On the other hand, an HDD with 7,200 RPM will have speeds of around 150MBps.

That means it would take you 40 minutes to an hour to transfer 50GB of data using an HDD

An SSD, on the other hand, has no RPM to consider since it doesn’t have moving parts. With a SATA III connection, an SSD can read data at 550MBps and write at 520MBps. Speeds, however, will max out at 600MBps as this is the maximum transfer capacity of a SATA III connection.

That means it would only take around 15 minutes to transfer 50GB of files with an SSD.

If, however, you use an M.2 or PCIe connection between your SSD and your motherboard, speeds can go as high as 1.4GBps. That means you could transfer 50GB of data in less than 5 minutes.

SSDs are also faster when it comes to application open times. For example, you can open a 400MB TIF file on Photoshop CS5.1 in 8.4 seconds with an SSD. If you have an HDD, it would take 25.9 seconds – more than three times longer, according to GamingScan.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SpywareDr
Am I incorrect that the Toshiba is NIT a SSD?
Any recommendations for an external SSD for backup purposes?
Tommy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, but can I ask a follow up question so that I get my thinking sorted out.
Assume USB3 connection to PC.
You mentioned earlier RPM indicated a slow speed
The spec of the Toshiba states "Interface Transfer Rate Up to 5 Gbit/s (USB 3.0)"
I'm kinda confused.
Am I interpreting the specs wrong?
Also, when I buy an external SSD, what kind of transfer rate should I be looking for.
Tommy

·
7,738 Posts
A SATA III connection is capable of transferring data at up to a maximum of 5 to 600 MBps. However, the RPM of the HDD platters determines the throughput. A hard drive with a 5,400 RPM is only capable of around 100MBps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Copy-Paste is slower than using ANY half-reasonable backup software. However, you won't experience a huge reduction in time-to-backup by switching to backup software. The REAL fast way to backup is to use intelligent backup software that looks at dates files were last backed-up and if the file on the computer is the same file already on the backup drive, the software moves on to the next tile without doing the unnecessary data transfer. THAT ability can speed the backup considerably. There are dozens of free backup software options. You just have to use care to download the app from a safe location like download.com or a few others. Another advantage to backup software is that you can set most of them up to do "background" backup where the software backs-up files at top speed when you aren't doing anything with the computer, but the software slows down if you start doing other things that require moving data. That way you can let the backup run in the background without interrupting anything else you do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Once a week I backup all my Libraries to an external SSD (from my internal SSD)

I simply use copy/paste from File Explorer (I'm using Windows 10 Pro)

The transfer rate varies from 50Mb/s to 140Mb/s and seems to take a long time (10-20 mins).

40Gb of data

Is there a speedier way to do this.

Also, if my internal drive was M2, would this make any difference.

Tommy
Is this a laptop or PC?

If its a PC then you could get a hot swap bay then just plug in a backup harddrive. This is what I do. Then store the hard drive in a safe place. Just got this Silverstome Hot swap adapter for new new PC.

Next I use TeraCopy version 2.3 for all my copying. It has two great featues fast copying and most import it verifies all the files with CRC checking to make sure you get an exact copy.

Nothing is as fast an as accurate for copying IMO, whether PC to USB or Laptop to USB. I don't like the new user interface of version 3.8.2.

If your making a backup to another drive Teracopy is the Bees Knees.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the auto backup advice HavFun and SoCalBryan. It sounds like a nice solution, except that I use POP3 for my e-mail (I'm not getting into the IMAP argument). I open Outlook app when I log on each morning and I close it when I'm logging off. This locks the PST file, so it would never get backed up.

·
7,738 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts