Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I really hope someone can help. I have EE mobile broadband and use a Huawei B535 router. Until 10 days ago, we could access all sites. We used all the usual streaming sites (Netflix, iPlayer, Prime Video) as well as gaming sites like Fortnite and Roblox, Steam and Epic Games. I also often used a VPN. However, all of a sudden, one day we got up in the morning and were unable to access Netflix, Steam, Fortnite, iPlayer, and were unable to connect to my VPN program. Roblox could be accessed but buffered a lot. I did all the usual fixes (restarted the router, did a hard reset, had a new sim card sent to me) but nothing worked. I know the router is working ok as I am able to access these sites using a different mobile Internet (Three). I have also tried the EE card in my phone and used it on mobile hotspot. But the same thing happens: whilst most sites load quickly and efficiently, I am still unable to access Netflix, Fortnite, iPlayer, Steam or my VPN program. (Weirdly, another thing that wouldn't connect was the "check for updates" on my router dashboard. Although, I was able to check for updates using my Three sim, and found it was using the most recent update).
Obviously, I have called EE. I have spoken to several people in their tech department now, and all are completely flummoxed as to what the problem could be! It sounds like I'm being throttled, but there is no evidence that I am. I even came off the PAYG package I was on and have taken out a contract (which I was planning to do anyway) but it still doesn't work! I have good internet for other sites except those I have mentioned. I have tried several speed test apps and sites. All show I have fast speeds! I'm averaging between 20-35mbps download and 10-20mbps upload. EE said this is higher than they would expect, so maybe that is causing a problem? If it's running too fast, could that cause a sort of throttling? Their tech people are clueless! They are ringing again tomorrow to see how the weekend went, but I would like to see if there are any tech savvy heroes on here that could help me.
It was literally overnight! Had fantastic connection (including my son playing Fortnite whilst I was streaming Netflix) but then one day, we get up and neither of these sites are even accessible, along with several others. This is the same result on 2 different laptops and 2 TVs.
I would be eternally grateful if anyone has any ideas. Thank you.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
Do All of your devices (ie) Smart Phone/TV/ etc have issues connecting? Are you able to connect to these sites using public Wifi?
Do you use any 3rd party Security, Anti-Virus software? Other then the standard Windows Security (Defender)? If so, try disabling it for a test.
Boot into the Router Setup and see if there are any sites that are blocked by the firewall. Also check the Windows Firewall. You can also add these sites to the Safe list.
If all fails, contact your ISP. Try replacing the router.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying. I do use anti virus software and firewall but I stopped both temporarily to test. Made no difference. But the point is, if I put my Three sim card in, everything works fine. I contacted ISP and they have no idea what's happening! I have spoken to several people there so far. They are calling again tomorrow. The router is working, because I can use another Sim card in there (Three) and it works fine.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,562 Posts
I've run across issues with both Verizon and Comcast cable over the years, their networks can develop routing problems internally. When that happens, whole blocks of IP addresses were suddenly not accessible. I had to prove it to the lame Comcast tech before they'd do something about it, but they finally fixed it. Verizon was better, the admitted they were having routing issues when I pressed them.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,499 Posts
I don't know anything about the ISP you're using or your VPN, but your first step should be to run a ping and tracert command to the sites you're trying to access.
Open a command prompt and type ping google.com (or whatever site you're trying to reach) then press enter. See if the command times out.
At the command prompt, type tracert google.com (replace google with the site you're trying to reach). Copy and paste the results in a new post here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't forget that Huawei is an instrument of the Chinese government. That's only SLIGHTLY sarcastic. A forum with an Huawei section would be the quickest way to find out if any others are having the same issue you are having or whether someone had the same issue and found a work-around.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,562 Posts
Don't forget that Huawei is an instrument of the Chinese government. That's only SLIGHTLY sarcastic. A forum with an Huawei section would be the quickest way to find out if any others are having the same issue you are having or whether someone had the same issue and found a work-around.
Probably should save the conspiracy talk for somewhere else. Even if the Chinese were so inclined, something like that in a foreign country would be way to obvious!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello there. I really hope someone can help. I have EE mobile broadband and use a Huawei B535 router. Until 10 days ago, we could access all sites. We used all the usual streaming sites (Netflix, iPlayer, Prime Video) as well as gaming sites like Fortnite and Roblox, Steam and Epic Games. I also often used a VPN. However, all of a sudden, one day we got up in the morning and were unable to access Netflix, Steam, Fortnite, iPlayer, and were unable to connect to my VPN program. Roblox could be accessed but buffered a lot. I did all the usual fixes (restarted the router, did a hard reset, had a new sim card sent to me) but nothing worked. I know the router is working ok as I am able to access these sites using a different mobile Internet (Three). I have also tried the EE card in my phone and used it on mobile hotspot. But the same thing happens: whilst most sites load quickly and efficiently, I am still unable to access Netflix, Fortnite, iPlayer, Steam or my VPN program. (Weirdly, another thing that wouldn't connect was the "check for updates" on my router dashboard. Although, I was able to check for updates using my Three sim, and found it was using the most recent update).
Obviously, I have called EE. I have spoken to several people in their tech department now, and all are completely flummoxed as to what the problem could be! It sounds like I'm being throttled, but there is no evidence that I am. I even came off the PAYG package I was on and have taken out a contract (which I was planning to do anyway) but it still doesn't work! I have good internet for other sites except those I have mentioned. I have tried several speed test apps and sites. All show I have fast speeds! I'm averaging between 20-35mbps download and 10-20mbps upload. EE said this is higher than they would expect, so maybe that is causing a problem? If it's running too fast, could that cause a sort of throttling? Their tech people are clueless! They are ringing again tomorrow to see how the weekend went, but I would like to see if there are any tech savvy heroes on here that could help me.
It was literally overnight! Had fantastic connection (including my son playing Fortnite whilst I was streaming Netflix) but then one day, we get up and neither of these sites are even accessible, along with several others. This is the same result on 2 different laptops and 2 TVs.
I would be eternally grateful if anyone has any ideas. Thank you.
I’m not positive of the solution. However, a consideration might be to check the capacity of your router. With internet speeds constantly changing (even sometimes the carrier increases you capability without upgrade notice or charges) to keep current customers. In that case the router sometimes needs to be up graded to dual bands or more. Also, you may try to shut down the power on the router and computer , then reboot all. “Sometimes “ this can reconfigure the connections. Good luck. Hope this helps because sometimes with electronics ,there’s no technical explanation.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
OP has demonstrated that the router works just fine when they switch to a different carrier, and they face the same problem when they use their phone as a hotspot using EE. It's pointless to keep pursuing the possibility that the Huawei router is the problem. ISPs tend to avoid admitting there could be a problem on their side, especially when it's not a widely reported problem. EE could be very much aware of the problem and trying to figure it out while they manage you and the few others facing the same, while not straight-up admitting it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts