Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering How many fans can you hook up in series and not take away power for cpu? I am going to put 1 120MM and 4 80mm and the cpu fan will run off the psu too not off mb. can you use another psu not hooked up to mb, is it necessary and can you use a psu w/o hooking it up to mb. I have a 350 watt antec psu, thanks for your knowledge and help.

S

·
0 Posts
I have the same power supply as you and at one time I had six fans running at once with no side effects.

I just couldn't stand the noise anymore and ripped a few out............LOL

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My ASUS A7V has spots for 3 on board fans not counting the one for the CPU.... The funny thing is since I live in a 2 story house and my room is upstairs it gets pretty damn hot.... but I also am getting my case painted (taking for f***ing ever) so the sides are off. In a brief moment of insight I hooked up some spares case fans and used them as user fans :D

And the custom case I'm working on (since it's the size of a small cedar chest and has enough room) has 2 PSU's one for the motherboard, and one for the rest of the extras... such as ColdCathode, the modified deskfan, stuff like that and I haven't noticed any problems. I don't know for the limit of fans you can have without pulling too much juice... I think that'll be a little experimentation since it varies on CPU and mobo, as well as PSU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF you have 2 ps how did you hook up the 2nd one? doesn't the main power connector, (the mb power wires) have to plug into the mb? I thougt about hooking up an extra ps externally but how do you power it up with just switching it on from the ps itself? Could I switch over the square |=| 12v power connector to a peripheral power connector |====| ? thanks. Pin 14 on my ps on the main power con, it is the ps_on could that be switched, I don't know maybe I'm thinking to hard, let me know.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I disassembled the mobo connector piece and rigged it to a rocker switch that I am going to mount on top of/in the top of the case... I just looked at the diagram on the side of the PSU and looked at which ones grounded and all of that happy crap and went from there.... I'll take a look at it when I get home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks Valiant. I also did that, there is a green and a grey that say ps_on and ps_ok. When I connected them with a switch it would turn on, then turn back off, but if I leave the rocker switch on then turn the ps switch off then back on it will work from that switch on the ps. I tried alot of combinations and can't get it to stay on, just turn on briefly then back off. :( don't know any suggestions. thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.