Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W ATX12V V.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail and when i came home from my vacation the other day i started having problems booting the computer up. It would get to the windows loading screen but when it actually came to booting up the operating system and displaying anything, then my screen would go black and then the video card output stopped and the fan on both my cpu heatsink and my vga heatsink would go nuts and blast at 100%. That's when I realized that the fan on my PSU was no longer turning. Is all this happening because my PSU fan is not turning? Could the PSU be overheating? If so how can I troubleshoot the fan and get it running again? It looks like the fan is trying to get moving but is either stuck or not getting enough power or something. Is it possible that I could just replace the fan or put a fan on top of the PSU to help it from overheating? The warranty for the PSU is conditional or I would send it in. Newegg wants me to have the retail box in order to exchange it but i threw that away after the first month of it working. So when month 3 rolled around and it died on me like this i have no other option but to either A. try and fix it myself or B. hope that coolmax has decent customer service and can do some sort of manufacturer's warranty

any help troubleshooting the problem would be wonderful... thanks

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
hi i think i woud try coolmax psu's are not the best thing to attempt to repair although there is not a huge amount in them they carry a pretty high voltage even when disconnected and are a real risk of shock but that is only my opinon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i will consider getting a new power supply. In the meantime, do you think it would be a bad idea to take a large fan that runs on a 4-pin molex from the power supply and set it on top of the grill pictured on the newegg posting? this would keep it cool would it not? Oh and also what is the best power supply that i would replace it with?

here are the specs for my computer so that you may better assess

Antec Twelve hundred Case
2 seagate 640 GB hard drives
MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
1 Samsung dvd burner
1 LG blu-ray player
4 x 2GB Gskill RAM sticks
1 4870x2 Video card
AMD phenom II x4 940 deneb 3.0ghz cpu

and some other peripherals (fans, heatsinks, network cards)

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I have replaced fans in PSU's but it is NOT for the novice.
If you decide to attempt it, remove the PSU and let it sit a MINIMUM of 2 days to totally discharge the capacitors.
The best solution is to replace the PSU with a quality unit as wrench97 suggested.
Be aware that Corsiair does NOT honor their rebates with cash. They substitute a credit card that can be used ONLY for future Corsiar brand merchandise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.