Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My computer, I believe it is my fan, is running very loudly, all the time. It is in my bedroom with me and I literally have to turn it off just to hear the TV at night. How do I know if I need to replace the fan or is there something I can do to save that money?

Please let me know, I feel like my computer might meltdown if it is overheating due to a poor fan.

My computer is:
Gateway GM5474
Vista 32 Bit
AMD Athlong 64X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000+ (3 GHz each)
NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT Video Card

Thank you,
Grant

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is the noise due to high RPM's? If the CPU fan is running at high RPM's it is generally due to dust buildup on the CPU Heatsink. Clean it thoroughly with compressed air.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool, i did and it seems to be working better! I tried that a month ago and it didnt help but this time it did. Hopefully it will stay quite for a while. Also, which fan usually makes the most noise? the small on in the back or the big blocky one in the middle of the cpu (i think the pcu one?) ?

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
The smaller the fan the faster it needs to rotate to maintain a specific airflow. Smaller fans in my experience tend to be louder due to the speed they rotate. Larger fans tend to rotate slower and make less noise. At high rpms any fan will eventually get to be annoying.

If you have fan exhausting out the back of the case, and it's not cooling the CPU, you could temporarily disconnect it to see if the noise goes away. If the noise remains then it's the CPU fan and there are aftermarket coolers and fans that can be much quieter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.