Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about two years now, even after putting in a new hard drive and doing a clean install I have a B:/ drive (floppy) listed in the tree I have no second floppy. Doesn't seem to do any harm but is rather annoying have removed it in device manager and it comes back.

·
Registered
142 Posts
RightClick MyComputer > Manage > DiskManagement

On the right hand side bottom of that window, right click on the floppy drive > Change drive letter and set which ever u want unless it is assined to a different drive... ;)

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Do you use Daemon Tools or anything similar to make a virtual drive?

EDIT: Just to add, DOS checks all installed disk devices at bootup as through config.sys, assigning the drive letter A to the first "physical" floppy drive that is found and giving the letter "B" to the 2nd physical floppy disk drive is present. If it is not present, a logical drive B is created that uses the first physical floppy disk drive.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you use Daemon Tools or anything similar to make a virtual drive?

EDIT: Just to add, DOS checks all installed disk devices at bootup as through config.sys, assigning the drive letter A to the first "physical" floppy drive that is found and giving the letter "B" to the 2nd physical floppy disk drive is present. If it is not present, a logical drive B is created that uses the first physical floppy disk drive.
No, partitioned the new hard drive with maker software, but this has been around for two years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Myself dont have any more idea for your problem but jst wanna tell u that there is an unallocated space in your HDD of 46.13GB, you have not assignd it. Right Click on that and Initialise that drive....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Myself dont have any more idea for your problem but jst wanna tell u that there is an unallocated space in your HDD of 46.13GB, you have not assignd it. Right Click on that and Initialise that drive....
The info shown on that screen is also not correct. The hard drive is only 200mb attached it a shot from device manager.

Attachments

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
The info shown on that screen is also not correct. The hard drive is only 200mb attached it a shot from device manager.
Hi

Your drive info is correct in both of the shots. It shows Disk 0 having C, D, G partitions to make up a total of 200GB. If disk management got it wrong, the computer would not recognize it but exactly as the DM service.

The only three times I've seen this issue is when the OS was corrupt. Can you open up your tower/case and check where the IDE cables are connected?

They're ribbon cables, thin and about 2inch wide with black/blue connectors at both end and a grey in the middle usually.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Your drive info is correct in both of the shots. It shows Disk 0 having C, D, G partitions to make up a total of 200GB. If disk management got it wrong, the computer would not recognize it but exactly as the DM service.

The only three times I've seen this issue is when the OS was corrupt. Can you open up your tower/case and check where the IDE cables are connected?

They're ribbon cables, thin and about 2inch wide with black/blue connectors at both end and a grey in the middle usually.
One drive, end connector to it drive set to master. Disk management says 237mb.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only three times I've seen this issue is when the OS was corrupt.
Would like to check the OS, thinking about running the sfc /scannow command however my OEM cd does not have SP2 on it, the machine does, will that make a difference, and if so can I do this with a CD that has SP2 on it?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Would like to check the OS, thinking about running the sfc /scannow command however my OEM cd does not have SP2 on it, the machine does, will that make a difference, and if so can I do this with a CD that has SP2 on it?
It won't.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It won't.
Please delete my other post on the spc /scannow. Does not matter anyway when I tried to do it got the message that the spc file was not found, asked me if I wanted to browse for it tried but could not find it on the drive or the cd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.