Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This afternoon I downloaded some Windows updates for one of my computers. In addition, I also installed a trial version of PGP Desktop to do an assignment for a class I am taking. After everything was finished, I rebooted the machine and after the Microsoft Corporation Green bar loading screen it would go to a black screen with a movable mouse cursor - stay there for about 30 seconds - then reboot and the process repeated.

I tried booting to safe mode, it did the same thing - black screen with a bigger cursor (lower resolution). Tried booting to last know good config - same thing.

I really needed some data off that particular drive so I took it out and linked it to another PC using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter and got my data.

I proceeded then to put the HD back in the PC that is giving me issues and booted to go ahead and do a repair install of Vista. However, it is now acting differently.

I get the initial "Acer" screen, then the screen goes black with a message "amd data change update new data to dmi" - beeps one time - then reboots and does it again and again.

I tried resetting the CMOS battery and set it to default optimal settings and it didnt do anything.

Not sure what to try next. Any ideas or thoughts on what exactly would have caused this?

Thanks!

Here is the PC specs:

Acer Aspire X1300
AMD Athlon 7450 Dual-Core (2.4ghz)
3GB RAM
Vista Home 32-Bit

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Bios flash on a unstable PC is never a good Idea, and never need to fix a PC that ran good with no hardware changes.

Do have the drive hooked up to the same Sate port as before?
Check the Sata cable in fully seated on both ends.

Yeah the drive is hooked up to the same port and the cable is fully seated on both ends

·
Registered
253 Posts
My bios flashing suggestion didn't came out of nowhere, if you google a bit you'll see a few people got it fixed by flashing bios, as you say, the message goes by fast:

Verifying DMI pool data....
Update new data to DMI

And the computer boots, however the update new data message should appear only once, so several people suspected a dead battery, as it would happen on every boot.
Some others said a bad sata cable and bad BIOS settings concerning RAID modes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DMI Data message Means that data of the memory registry of the AMD CPU has been updated to DMI when the system is turned on. Normally goes by so fast you don't see it.

Try removing and reseating the Ram sticks.
Tried reseating everything in the case just to make sure all connections are good.

Still scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In regards to your dmi message:

Try checking the sata port type (RAID,IDE,AHCI) and set it to IDE or AHCI, unless you know you have a RAID configuration.

Cheers :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.