Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned on my computer, all my icons were gone and a message:
Failed to save settings. An error occurred loading a configuration file. It gave no suggestions how to repair this. Can anyone help? I am on a HP 2009m PC with windows vista. I tried many web sites for advice but I'm not very computer savy.:sigh: Maggie R.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Hi, you could try a system restore. If this fails or is not available try this. Desktop items are stored in a cache, this can become corrupted causing what you see. To fix right click on the taskbar and select Task manager. When Task Manager opens under the Applications tab click on "new Task" type:- explorer.exe press ok. Your desktop should repopulate. At this time reboot your computer. If all is well then the problem is fixed if not:-

Repeat the task manager (as above) and new explorer.exe then follow this:-

Go to Start all programs accessories and right click on command prompt select “run as administrator”

At the prompt type:- taskkill /im explorer.exe /f press enter
(Your desktop will go blank)

Now type each line and press enter after each line.
Note the spaces.

CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

Shutdown /r

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, you could try a system restore. If this fails or is not available try this. Desktop items are stored in a cache, this can become corrupted causing what you see. To fix right click on the taskbar and select Task manager. When Task Manager opens under the Applications tab click on "new Task" type:- explorer.exe press ok. Your desktop should repopulate. At this time reboot your computer. If all is well then the problem is fixed if not:-

Repeat the task manager (as above) and new explorer.exe then follow this:-

Go to Start all programs accessories and right click on command prompt select “run as administrator”

At the prompt type:- taskkill /im explorer.exe /f press enter
(Your desktop will go blank)

Now type each line and press enter after each line.
Note the spaces.

CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

Shutdown /r

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jenae, Thanks for your help. But, system restore and explorer.exe did not work. I want to try step 3 but cannot find accessories in all programs. Check desktop - still no luck. Sorry. A hint please? Thanks for your time. Maggie

·
7,753 Posts
Hi, go to start "search" and type command the top item returned will be command prompt right click on this select "run as administrator".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:wave:Hi, I was able to try command prompt step. That try also did not work:sigh:.
Perhaps I should have given more info. about the error message in the first place. Failed to save settings: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Unable to open file XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for writing because it is read only or hidden. I still have hope. Can you help? Thanks, Maggie-Patty

·
7,753 Posts
Hi, boot your computer and as it begins to load press F8 (just keep pressing it) we want to get into safe mode, once there select last known good see how you go. If this does not work and you have a copy of the Vista dvd you can boot from it and select the "repair your computer" option run the startup repair. I don't suppose you could give us the exact error message you receive xxxxx's are too generic.:grin:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If the issue persists after jenae's solution, I would recommend you to backup your profile and create a new one(user account), just to get the new configuration files. You can then just copy the information from your old profile back to the new one.

Backup the userprofile
Right-click Computer > Choose "Properties".
In the left column, choose "Advanced system settings".
Under the Advanced Tab > Choose "User profiles".
Mark your current profile > Choose "Copy to..".
Save it directly to an USB or your C:\ drive.

Create a new profile
Access the Control Panel > User accounts.
Create a new user account.

Now logon to the new useraccount, follow the "backup procedure" for the userfile, but delete the old one instead of copying it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm back. The exact error message is, Failed to Save setting: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Unable to open file 'C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Hewlett-Packard\HPAdvisor.exe Url rjaetb310ci for writing because it is read only or hidden
The rebooting, F8, repair your computer, start up repair was unsuccessful.
Aciid, I got as far as choose "copy to" but the "copy to" button was not highlighted. Therefore, not allowing me to click on it. Hoe hum. Maggie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.