Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I've got a Lacie 5big that was the backup for multiple mac machines via time machine. There's some data on it that didn't have a copy anywhere else that I'm trying to get off. It is a 5 disk raid5 array, that I have 4 disks currently pluged into my windows 7 machine (as it's the only computer I have access to with available internal sata ports and I'm going to need to pick up a pci card to get that last drive attached) where I hoped to use raid reconstructor and captain nemo to get to the important files

My first problem was that win7 listed the disks in disk manager with each disk having 7 healthy partitions (125mb, 8mb, 173mb, 659mb, 8mb, then 1396.30gb), but wouldn't show them as active under my computer. Likewise, it would appear that Raid Reconstructor couldn't see them as well.

I then moved on to r-studio, which could see them. I added the first 4 disks in the correct order in a virtual block array with an added 'missing disk' in the 5th spot. I then tried a few different block sizes and block orders to see if I could get the virtual raid's 'partition 1' to come up as working. It always came up saying that there was no file hierarchy found, so I tried scanning it and searching for jpgs. I've tried a variety of block sizes and orders, but I only ever get working jpgs that are around 9kb or less in size, all of the other 'found' pictures tend to be broken and won't open.

I'm now begining to wonder if perhaps there is a sector offset that I need to find and I'm looking for advice.

If there's a solution to getting the disks to appear to Raid Reconstructor, that could be helpful with its supposed ability to figure out the raid5 parameters. Otherwise, any other advice on the situation would be appreaciated, especially if you've had to deal with a lacie 5big before.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Some of the Lacie disks use a Linux kernel and build a Linux soft raid using XFS filesystem. Was this a NAS box? IE attached to teh network rather than directly to the machines via USB... If so then the Linux soft raid is likely to have been used. You can try UFSexplorer, it is about the only thing that can handle this configuration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@raptor Well I've looked at UFS Explorer and it looks like I'll run into the same problem I did with r-studio, the drives are visible to the software, but I am unsure of Lacie's raid parameters for the device (offset, block size, parity distribution).

My original hope in running raid reconstructor was its supposed ability to figure out those parameters on its own, then export a virtual image that could be delved into with captain nemo. With r-studio, and it looks like ufs explorer, it appears that I'm left guessing at the variables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I have some progress. I know I spent awhile looking around the internet for what sort of raid setup the Lacie 5big would have, but couldn't find any reported details, so in case there are other people doing the same thing that stuble upon this I'll record my findings.

Most importantly, it appears that the numbered 1-5 bays on the Lacie 5big actually did not house the drives in their 'correct' order. The raid drive 1 was the Lacie drive 5, raid drive 2 was Lacie disk 4, 3 was 1, 4 was 3 and 5 was 2. This one surprised me, but it appears that in the order listed above, the assembled raid is providing viable recovered files.

Block size was 128 sectors
Parity was left symmetric
The raid start was sector 2008125
And the file system was xfs

Hope this helps someone else out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. It's been interesting. I attempted to gather as much data in general on raid5 recovery and lacie nas boxes in specific before starting, but in the end it came down to playing around with the possible variables to eventually reassemble the raid. All in all it was fairly fun, although I probably wouldn't think so if I didn't get the data in the end.

Hopefully if there's someone else out there with the same box in the same situation, they'll come across this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!
Looks like I have the same problem with LaCie 5 Big.
One of my disks is failed, and LaCie didn't see a thing. The raid system was Raid 5.
I have all disks connected to the computer and R-Studio installed.
Now i have to combine that disk in virtual raid.
I have first question - you said something about error in disks numeration - different disks have different numbers. When you quess the right order, did the partition shows herself? Or did you put the disks in quessing order and then rescan that raid again and again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been awhile since I did the raid recovery, but I'll see if I can help you.

If your problem is one disk is dead, but the Lacie is fine, you should be able to just add in a new identical disk to the dead one, and let the machine rebuild the raid across the new drive, no data will be lost.

My problem wasn't a dead disk, but the raid box itself failing. I was then able to hook up all 5 disks to my computer (although you only need 4) and reconstruct it as a virtual raid to get out the needed data.

Assuming you have the same Lacie 5Big as I did, and they didn't change anything, you should be able to hook it up to your computer and use the same settings as I listed to reconstruct your raid. But again, only do that if the Lacie itself has failed, if it's just a dead drive, buy a new one and let the box rebuild over the new drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there Max40watt,

I know it has been ages since you last did this, but I've run into a simular situation. My Lacie 5big Network 2 crapped out on me, and I now have three drives that have information on it, and two that do not. Mine I believe was setup in a RAID 6 configuration, so the Lacie 5big I guess erased two of the drives, to try to clean up the raid partitions, but then somehow it got corrupted I believe.... so now I have the three drives that have data on it, hooked up to my PC with Rstudio, and I've tried setting up a virtual raid, but am unsure exactly how to do this... is there some way you could point me to the right direction so I can retrive some, or all of my data?

Thanks so much.... hopefully this finds you. :)

It's been awhile since I did the raid recovery, but I'll see if I can help you.

If your problem is one disk is dead, but the Lacie is fine, you should be able to just add in a new identical disk to the dead one, and let the machine rebuild the raid across the new drive, no data will be lost.

My problem wasn't a dead disk, but the raid box itself failing. I was then able to hook up all 5 disks to my computer (although you only need 4) and reconstruct it as a virtual raid to get out the needed data.

Assuming you have the same Lacie 5Big as I did, and they didn't change anything, you should be able to hook it up to your computer and use the same settings as I listed to reconstruct your raid. But again, only do that if the Lacie itself has failed, if it's just a dead drive, buy a new one and let the box rebuild over the new drive.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
Nitrolic187, please create your own thread containing all relevant details. Max40watt hasn't posted on this forum for more than 2 years so is unlikely to see this.

This old thread now closed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.