Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, apparently asking how to do this in someone's elses thread that KNOWS HOW to do it, isn't the way to go.. So, just asking here "in my own thread"..

I may have screwed up the regedit on one of my other computers.. It has Windows XP Pro on it now, I upgraded it from Windows 98SE.. I couldn't get the network adapter to work on it, and I don't really want to go out and buy a new one, cause I don't think it's necessary.. So, any help?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does the NIC show up in Device Manager? Sometimes it helps if you uninstall the device and let Windows rediscover it. Otherwise, do what hwm54112 suggests.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I upgraded the pc to Windows XP Pro, and uninstalled the nic's then tried to search for new hardware, but, it didn't find it.. But, I went to manually install from a list, and there were two brand choices to install.. 3Com, and Microsoft.. And, what was installed on Win98, was a (3C905B-TX) 3Com® Fast EtherLink® XL PCI TX Network Interface Card.. I wasn't really sure when it was on 98 if that was the right nic brand or not, but, I re-installed the 3com one here on XP, since it brought it up as a choice, I figured it was right..

Well, when it installed, it brought up the "It hasn't passed Windows logo testing" whatever message, so, I continued anyways.. Then, on device manager, it has a yellow exclamation mark on it, but it shows it that it's installed.. And it says some message about it not working right.. I unhooked it, and gave up, and just hooked up another of my (slower) computers :(.. but, if anyone can think of anything else, I'll be glad to give it another go.. Oh ya, and for the driver, I did get the latest driver from 3com.com, and installed that, so, I just don't know WHAT to do.. Any other ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.