Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last maybe 2 weeks I've been getting the F4 stop error. I believe it may have started when I installed MSN messenger on my pc, because that night after I went to sleep my PC got the BSOD and continuously reset itself, I found this out after the audio noise it plays at windows load woke me up some time in the middle of the night. I knew BSOD's usually occur after hardware/software installs, so I attempted to uninstall msn, since that was the only program I've installed recently. Unfortunately my pc would only get to the point of loading the last items at start up before resetting. It loads fine in safe mode, never had it BSOD there. After uninstalling MSN it went away, but then came back the next night...

Because I couldn't load it in normal mode to have access to all of my programs to check my pc, I attempted a system restore, and restored it to the day before I installed MSN. This seemed to work, and I had no problems using my pc. That night (third night) the BSOD happened AGAIN. I set up my pc to stop at the BSOD so I could get the error code. There is no code name at the top of the screen. At all. It's blank, moving from the first paragraph to the 3rd one, skipping the one where it names the code. At the bottom it has the F4 code followed by the 03 as the first parameter.

I looked up as many of the possible solutions to this stop error. I've checked my pc with every possible scanner to look for problems, I've used chkdsk, reset my paging file, and I've removed my second HDD. Nothing has helped the issue. Only rolling back my pc to previous dates has helped, and that has only worked temporarily and now it's not working either (it's probably not good for it, either). I'm at a loss for the problem, confused to why there is no named error, and have run out of ideas. My only remaining possible solution is to reinstall windows, and I don't want to do that, I just did that after a bad network card caused a similar BSOD. I have schoolwork on this pc and I've lost a lot of it already. Any ideas or more information is greatly appreciated, I'm getting very frustrated. I built the pc myself about 1.5 years ago and until recently it has worked perfectly. Nothing has changed hardware-wise since I originally built it except for an upgrade to more ram (done about a year ago), and that failed attempt to install that network card, which isn't in the pc any longer. The version of MSN I tried to install was the same one I'd used since I built it, I only installed it again after I had to reinstall windows.

My system:
AMD A64 X2 6000 3.0ghz processor
Nvidia 8000 series video card
4gb Corsair ram (pc says 3gb)
sound is the realtek built into the motherboard
Elitegroup KN3SLI2 Motherboard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does happen in hibernate, the first time. Then after that it just cycles til I do something that interrupts the cycle. I'm sure I have the minidumps but unfortunately I'm at work atm and don't have access to them.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Well, a scenario might be if your internet is set to wake your comp on Lan activity BUT the NIC is also set to power off to save power, you might get that starting the comp from hibernate because of LAN activity BUT have problems because the LAN wakes too slow or something.

If you aren't worried about nightime incoming, just shut the NIC off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds entirely possible. My one question on that, though, is why would my pc continue to blue screen after the first error? And how can I fix it after it starts happening? In the future I will turn the NIC off and see if that helps. If I can get it stable again, anyway...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok after going home and working on my computer, I've found that my pc's not set to hibernate at all. I thought it did but it's just the monitor that the shuts off. It's no longer waiting until late at night to BSOD, it just does it all the time now. I can't figure out what it is, I've uninstalled all programs that are linked to malware, I've run my antivirus, ad-aware, spybot, and microsoft's malware scanner and all have come back clean.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 39 °C (102 °F)
Aux 43 °C (109 °F)
GPU 64 °C (147 °F)
SAMSUNG HD403LJ 37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3214 RPM
Chassis 4963 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.34 V
+2.5 V 3.34 V
+3.3 V 1.82 V
+5 V 5.00 V
+12 V 5.95 V
+5 V Standby 5.00 V
VBAT Battery 3.02 V
Debug Info F D2 88 00
Debug Info T 43 39 247
Debug Info V 54 D1 72 BA 5D 47 BA (77)

At the moment I have it loaded in normal windows with only the most basic needed system processes running, if that matters at all. I don't understand most of the report but the 147 F bothers me, seems high.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Well, there is either a faulty 12v sensor or your 12v bus is bad. I suspect the sensor partially anyway.

The gpu temp is 'warm', but that isn't out of sight.

Do you own a multimeter to check the DC voltages?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Download and install and run SpeedFan;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpeedFan_d337.html

Note: after you click the nearest mirror on that page click ONLY the YELLOW bar to continue.

Once it downloads, let the folder open, run it to install, let it install itself with all 3 checks left alone, then run it.

I am particularly interested in what the 12V reading is (lower left hand corner) .

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Well, either the sensor is shot (probable) or your psu is bad (small possibility).

Time to shut down and take it to a shop for a multimeter voltage check BEFORE spending any more money. Call first, explain what you want done and why (low 12v reading and not operating well) and get a quote for a quick voltage check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so on saturday after the last response: I was running my pc in normal windows with just the basics loaded, was on the internet, and suddenly my connection died. Went to look in network connections and it was blank, no connections visible. All cords were properly connected. I wasn't sure if I couldn't see the connections because of how I had windows running, but in an attempt to get myself back on the internet (I take online classes and was working on my homework ><) I reset my pc. And it wouldn't start. Motherboard lit up, and the fans run, but it wouldn't load anything, just beeped at me, nothing on the monitor. At this point I freaked, wondering if my pc had finally given up on me. I checked all cords, all connectors, and still it wouldn't start. My last attempt was removing 2 of my memory sticks. And it started up. I loaded windows in normal mode with no limits, but for some reason, my sound, video and network connections still wouldn't load. So I decided I'd had enough and reinstalled windows.

My pc is working fine now, everything is as it should be. But there's some things I'm still concerned about. I do think it would be best to upgrade my psu, I've had one die in the past and my current one is aging. It's something that will have to wait a bit, atm I don't have the money to replace the psu. One question I have: why did taking out the ram allow my pc to start up? Is this an indicator that my ram may be bad, or related to my power issues? I really notice the difference in my memory, and I'd love to put the ram back in; but will this affect my pc again? And if the ram is bad, what's the best way to test it? I've read that it's rarely bad ram, but the fact that I took it out and my pc started has me wondering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.