Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an extremely weird problem with my router.

My setup:
- Pentium 4 2,5 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP, 10/100 MBit LAN
- 8 MBit internet line
- Office Connect 11g cable/dsl router

I have been using this setup for 1 month without a single problem. However, yesterday my usenet download speed (I am using newshosting.com) dropped to 1/10 of what is normal. The weird thing is that this spreed drop only affects downloading from usenet. I still get full speed when downloading through http, ftp etc.

If I disconnect the router and connects my PC directly to my cable modem it works perfecly. Full speed is back. This makes me conclude that the problem is the router!

I have tried the following:
- Rebooted router
- Reset router to factory settings
- Downgraded and upgraded firmware
- Deactivated WiFi
- Deactivated the router firewall
- Placed my PC in the DMZ
- Tested different newsreaders

All to no avail! If using the router I still only get 1/10 of normal download speed from usenet.

This is one of the weirdest problems I have experienced. If anyone have a clue, please let me know.

Regards,
ErikX

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
What isp do you use? If it is earthlink, they have a 5gig quota on down
loads..throttle back your speeds,,,,strike that, router may very well
be problem,,check cable,from router,,to pc,that is wierd, have you tried
xnews? some of those readers tend to cache data, sometimes I feel
it is a problem, that is why I dont allow reader to cache.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a norwegian ISP with no limitations at all. Remember, that everything work as it should as soon as I don't user the router. I have tried to change the tp cable. I have even tried to download from another PC in my LAN. Still same problem :4-dontkno

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
In case you dont know, make sure you have a good firewall when running
straight off of the modem,,,zone alarm, is good, dont trust the xp firewall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this a possible scenario:

"Have you tried a different port connecting to your usenet server?

This is a long shot, but your ISP could have limited your NNTP speed based on your router's MAC address, and since your PC's ethernet card's MAC Address is different, it is uncapped.

Again, its a long shot.. "

Thanx, but I have tried that aswell. However, I find the theory interesting. Is it possible to to limit all nntp traffic (regardless of port number) for a specific MAC address?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I changed the MAC address on my router, and the speed is up to normal again. This means that the ISP (UPC) is indeed capping me. I called them, but they told be that they do not cap. However, to be sure they had to check with UPC HQ in Holland. I am awaiting feedback.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I wouldnt have tipped my hand, Now they know that you know. I would let
this die a happy death. They may try to charge you for extra pc's if any
exist. They know you have a router and they can see every pc on that
router. If it is only one pc, I would say I use a router for firewall purposes.
Good luck.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Exactly how do you think they can see every PC behind the NAT layer? You know something the rest of us don't? While it's possible with enough analysis as A Technique for Counting NATted Hosts shows, it would be far too difficult in today's broadband climate to effectively implement such a scheme. In addition, it's pretty simple for the router to prevent this technique from working, read on in the paper. :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.