Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems shutting down/restarting my computer. I have run Spybot, Adaware, and my Norton Virus Scan, and nothing shows up. But, my computer still takes close to 5 mintes or sometimes more to shut down. A error message regarding the closing of a program (the one with the button asking you to cancel or end program now) pops up, but it is only for a split second and I cannot read the program name. However, sometimes an error message that reads SMaxPNP pops up. I have already been declared clean in the HijackThis Forum.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Splatter24:

I've had similar issues. It got worse as in my post 8 before this one. Do you have XP SP1?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Splatter24,

Smax is your audio. Try getting the latest sound drivers and installing them. Sometimes drivers cause the system slow down etc.

The Hooligan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Besides that, disable unnecessary items from ur startup list, uninstall programs u dont need anymore and also run a disk cleanup and defragment your drives. cleaning out the trash and defragmenting regularly will help keep the system smooth and improve ur boot and shutdown. You could try the following link
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stopped all programs I don't need at start up, but my laptop still shuts down very slowly. I can still see an error message that pops up momentarily but dissapears, and I am unable to read what it says.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.