Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard drive has less than 100gigs on it. Just bought a 250gig internal hard-drive which I have set-up as the 'slave.' On my original hard drive I want to keep just the operating system and most of the programs. How would I go about moving 'My Documents' to my new hard-drive? Will windows try to keep defaulting 'My Docs' to my original drive?

Also, what can i do about iTunes? Can anyone let me know how to get it to now tie in with My Documents/MY Music/iTunes on the other drive?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi ZLRAC...

open the My Documents folder on the system drive and then copy the contents to the new location on the slave. You can edit the registry to change the default location of the My Documents folder but it's not something i'd recommend as you can just move the contents to the new folder and then change the settings of the programs which use My Documents.

I don't have iTunes myself but have done some work on a friend's pc who uses it and I distinctly remember a section in the settings where you can change the location of the iTunes folder (possibly Options -> Settings -> Library??)

·
Biker/Geek
1,088 Posts
Right click the "My Documents" folder and click "Properties". Then click "Move" and choose the new HD. Then *Important* make a new folder and name it "My Documents". Otherwise, the contents of "My Documents" will be put into the root of the drive and you will have to do it again to move them into a more organized state. Voila. :wink:

I had already done this from one partition to another, which should perform exactly the same as one HD to another. (I also did the same with the "Program Files" folder, though I just made a folder named that and installed all the programs to that folder, so that I could back up all my programs and files at once, on a separate partition from XP. - I have found that I can reinstall [most] programs using the program files & backed up registry keys without a hitch.)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.