Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ,
I have purchased an ICY BOX ( RaidSonic ) with 2 3.5 disks ( USB 3.0 ) and RAID capability.
I installed it as required and then I can see ( read / write ) both disks as separate volumes ( J: and L: ) . The initial configuration is RAID 1.
If i use the windows 10 option of storage spaces then RAID 1 is activated !!
But I am confused ... is this the right procedure for this machine or should work stand alone ????

·
Registered
40,869 Posts
The initial configuration is RAID 1.
RAID 1 is two HDD's of the same size, Drive A and B where Drive B is a mirror copy of Drive A. If RAID 1 is activated, then you will only see one drive in Windows. If disaster strikes and one drive fails, that drive can be replaced, and your can rebuild the array without loosing any data.
Usually, these drives in these enclosures are in a RAID 0 stripped set spanned across two drives. In Windows it will look like one big HDD. There is no redundancy in RAID 0 and if one drive fails, all data is lost.
Right now, if both disks are separate volumes, then you do not have RAID activated yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok ,
this means that I am using the software RAID available in Windows 10.
Is is safe ? or its better to reset the ICY BOX ...as its mentioned in the manual ?

·
Registered
40,869 Posts
I'm not totally clear how you have this setup? What do you want it to do?
If you can access two drives in the enclosure, then you do not have RAID activated. If using the Hardware RAID, there is a control panel for the RAID controller that is accessed when you first start the drive. Booting into this control panel, you can create a RAID array, and manage it. If disaster strikes, you would boot into the control panel to make changes (eg) if RAID 1, you would replace a drive, then boot into the control panel to rebuild the array, so you don't loose any data.
If you use the Windows RAID utility, you will do everything in Windows. You may not have as much control.
Right now, you have an enclosure with two drives and two drive letters in it. Which is fine. If you want redundancy, you can create a RAID1 mirror, you then will only have access to one drive, and the other will be a mirror copy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ,
finally there was ( a not so clear ) procedure for changing from JBOD to RAID 1. ( Keep pressed reset button an power on for 10 secs. )
Now RAID 1 is fully active in H/W mode.
Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.