Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I try to connect my external HDD, it comes out the message of "windows - device timeout - The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk1\DR17 was not completed before the time-out period expired."

whenever I connect to my pc or laptop, it slow down the pc/laptop, and will work normally when I unplug the External HDD...
I've try it on another pc, but it still pop up the same message...

Can anyone help me with this problem...please

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
First thing to do is download the manufacturers utilities for the drive and see what they show. If you look in device manager under disk drives you should be able to identify the actual drive used inside the enclosure. It owuld be preferred to remove the drive from the external enclosure and connect it directly to your PC, trouble shooting is much more precise when you get the USB interface and translation out of the way.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Removing the drive depends on the enclosure, usually a couple of screws hold it together, on others you need to gently pry it apart to lossen tabs. Sometimes the screws are hidden behind the rubber feet on teh device. Installing it to the PC will depend on whether it is a SATA or IDE, though the basics are the same. Just depends if you have to set jumpers or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.