Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a while ago, I tried installing the Linux Ubuntu OS, and had my External HDD plugged in while it was making the partitions, but it froze, so later I tried re-installing Linux, but didn't have my external plugged in, and ended up wiping my entire harddrive. So now I got my laptop back, after being re-imaged, and noticed that my Western Digital 320gb External HDD, says it has 32gb free of 147gb :4-dontkno

From what I can see, Linux managed to create a partition on it, but was left unused. So my question is, how can I delete that partition, and get my 150gbs back, without affecting the rest of the used harddrive?
Thanks

PS I also accidentally right clicked the external, and selected "Mark partition as active". Will this affect anything?

·
Registered
53 Posts
and if that doesnt work, try a program like Acronis Disk Director. I just got it the other day and was able to repartition both my external and internal HDDs the way I wanted without having to deal with messy code or worrying about deleting files.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help Paul, but no, I can't extend or shrink the volume, only delete :sigh:

Tr0x, how reliable is that program? And how would I go about doing what I want done? I reallllly don't wanna risk my files

Any other suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm fairly IT literate, but that all sounds too risky and unsafe imo
I've already played with Linux and gotten burnt. Are there any other options? This can't be that complicated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I burnt the image file to a CD and booted from it, but was kind of confused. I don't want to take chances. Could you please provide some instructions, showing how to extend my volume? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.