Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am about at the end of my tether with this one. I do web design know a little bit about computers so the boss handed me a Maxtor external 80 G HD to back up all the stuff, gives me the manual to read/software to install. This is going on the administration computer that is running two groups that are networked on a printer sharing network run off windows 2000 pro. The computer itself is an HP genuineintel 966mhz with 256 SDRAM (PC133) and 40 gig internal HD. The install itself has gone alright but there is another program that goes with it that is called Retrospect (with external HD its the part that runs the one button touch back up part). I keep getting this really stupid error that comes up PCVLDRVR.DLL -630 Bad Program Extension. Any idea as to where I went wrong with the install which I swore was followed to the letter (like a couple dozen time by now gonna show this thing how to fly pretty quick). The other part of this drama is that who ever set up the network and set up the computers partition them all (12 of them) as a FAT32 partition and the Maxtor is NTFS am I going to have to reformat the partition as well. Not to mention why would you FAT32 a 40 G HD? :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
FWIW, I'd throw all the software that comes with the external drive in the bin and just use it like a standard disk drive. There are plenty of free backup and file sync applications that work well and will do the job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnkx

TY guys that was what i needed will try it out when i get back in the office as for the use it like any other drive that was my thought but the boss has other plans. I do have another question for you about the same system i am running i want to put a 512 ram chip in it and have been told that the board wont support it but i think thats load of crap and then some. Right now the board currently has a 256 sdram in it with another slot the chip itself is a PC133 and i know that i can find a chip for the computer. why i use the same type of ram would it not work for the computer. The guy that told the boss i couldnt do that is someone that likes to make money lots of it with no simple solution. the board is a genuineintel 966. its a hp system running win 2k pro :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
An older board may indeed not support a 512mb SDRAM. I'd do a search on the exact model of the MB and see what memory it accepts. A good place to do your search for compatible memory is Crucial. You can enter the make/model and they'll tell you what memory is compatible with your machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.