Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdie all :tongue:
I'm new here and kind of a total newb if you may. Treat me gentle hehe :smooch:. Hope this is the correct forum to post in, if not I'm sorry ^^.

Anyway the situation is as follows. I have a western digital 250GB hard drive in a DigiConnect enclosure which I use as an external drive via an usb cable. Now I've been experiencing problems with it for well over a few months but now I'm really sick of it hence this post.

At first I would have no problems at all, using usb2.0 to copy files and transfer data in between my external (E:\) and C:\ drive. Though after a while my PC kept freezing completely and coming to a stand still whenever I would copy a big file. After a while it didn't stop at that, I wouldn't be able to play music files on E:\ without my computer rebooting itself.

I disabled the reboot automaticly option and instead I get BSODs now. I've had one where it said 'CODE_USB_DRIVER' and one with 'VER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'. Looked all over google and microsoft support sites but couldn't find a solution.

Now lately I've found out that whenever I do some kind of action on my E:\ drive my CPU usage in Task Manager gets dramatically high. For example; I would just open up a map on my E:\ drive and the CPU usage would go to 30%... No wonder my computer crashes if I want to copy a file.

What I tried: Basically just tried to update as much drivers as I could. And according to DriverAgent.com the only drivers I have that aren't up to date are:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Monitors
Plug en Play-monitor

Network adapters
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Haven't been able to find correct drivers to get them up to date, no idea if they are very important to update though?

I'm stumped and have no idea what to do, I prefer to pay a visit to a local repair shop as a final solution so if anyone has any ideas what to do I'd appreciate it alot.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Get WinXp updates to have all of them released. USB issues are covered extensively in every release there. By any chance, does this external drive heat up too much?
Which motherboard do you have, make/model/version?

Also your next BSoD.. can you post the whole message esp the codes and the xxxx.sys mention, if there is one.

Your error is most likely "BUG CODE_USB_DRIVER".

1. Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. Launch eventvwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer. Look for errors related to the same time under System.
2. If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
3. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
4. Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
5. However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
6. Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
7. Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
8. Check for viruses/spyware
9. Investigate recently added software.
10. Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

NOTE: When a STOP message occurs, Windows will usually create a debug file for very detailed analysis. (minidump.dmp in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump)

Check it the Event Viewer error here: Events and Error Messages

See how that goes. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off I'd like to thank for the fast reply :)

According to windows update I dont need any other essential updates.
It heats up some, don't think it's too much but I can't be sure on that.

Mobo info:
Name: Jetway
Model: P4XFCU
ID: P4X266E-8235-6A6LWJ19C-00

The BSOD with CODE_USB_DRIVER only occured twice or so. Code was as follows:
STOP : 0x000000FE (0x0000005, 0x865EB0E0, 0x11063104, 0x865E1D28)

Didn't see a .sys

On the other hand the VER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (possibly driVER?) pops up all the time now. Code of the last BSOD I had on that one:
STOP : 0x000000D1 (unfortunately I lost following codes)

usbehci.sys - Address F7B417A4 base at F7B3E000, Datestamp 41107162.

1. I had 3 'errors' in the system tab of which only one concerned a '2nd' hard drive saying something about an 0xC000000E error in the systemrestore map.

Though there were ALOT of 'warnings' about \Device\Harddisk1\D which is the device I got problems with.

Software tab only had something about iexplorer.exe and update.exe which isn't relevant I suppose.

2. None whatsoever.

3. Tbh with you, I wouldn't know what this is nor where to find this. Could you elaborate this part a bit?

4. All drivers except the ones I've posted in my main post are up-to-date. Reason these three are not is mainly 'cause I have no clue which ones to get as I have no knowledge about it what so ever.

5. I've had this problem after I formated as well. Though it only happens when using USB2, USB1.1 gives no problems except for it being slow.

6. Roger.

7. Where would one be able to find this HCL-list?

8. Seeing it still occured right after I formated and installed USB2 drivers this shouldn't be the case.

9. Same as 8 :tongue:

10. Will try.

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump contains 5 .dmp files. No idea what to do with them but they were all created on December the 23rd.

Thanks again for the reply, hope you'll be my savior :heartlove

Btw, I've tried running the drive and copieing files trough save mode. In save mode it uses alot of CPU as well, but it does copy the files nonetheless. Doesn't kick me right into a BSOD like 'normal' XP does. I thought it might be important to know...

Told ya I'm a total newb :laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the double post but for some reason I can't edit :rolleyes:

Anyway. After I disabled shadowing I received the following error when starting my external drive:

CODE_USB_DRIVER (There comes something before CODE but the width sucks ^^)
Stop: 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x865750E0, 0x11063104, 0x8653FAE8)
I enabled it back on after that.

Couldn't figure out the caching, the only 2 caching options I saw made my XP unbootable forcing me to enable them again.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Ok. Your reply was spot on what we needed. :smile:

Sorry I don't have time until later, maybe after Xmas so I can't reply to everything yet. I only a have a minute at most here.

Do this. This is the driver thats causing the BSoD crash usbehci.sys and very likely the subsequent problems. Many USB users are finding difficulties with this driver provided by MS in XP. To make sure try this:

Download this from here after free registration: MS XP USB Driver

Uninstall the previous one from device manager (start>run>type: devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Find under USB, right-click). Then install this above downloaded driver. After installation reboot your computer and test if it works with your external USB drive. If it gives you the same error, repeat this above uninstallation procedure and then download this: http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/118/118507.htm

Install that, with the same procedure as above and see how that goes.
If not find it here for your mobo: http://www.jetway.com.tw/oldweb/evisn/download/driver/index-1.htm
And repeat the procedure to see if its better.

The minidump can easily be analyzed but I'm pretty certain it contains the same errors indicating the USB driver here so we'll leave it for now. Everytime a STOP message is received, a minidump is usually created for analysis purposes with much more details of it and its cause.

The rest of your drivers can also be found on there: DriverGuide.

Best wishes to you and yours for Xmas (if I don't get to reply before it) :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply,

To be totally honest with you, I have no idea how to uninstall and install these drivers. I've tried alot of crap but everytime it's asking me for an .inf file and not a .sys. Guess I'm doing something wrong. Oh well tough luck ^^

Thanks for the help and a merry christmas to you to man enjoy it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the double post but I can't seem to edit my post even though the FAQ says otherwise :rolleyes:

Anyway, the errors seem to be exchanging one another. This time I got this error:

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
STOP: 0x000000FE (......................)
According to the site of MS getting Windows XP SP2 is the solution but I already have it.

Anyone got any ideas on what's going on this time? Also if anyone could quickly explain this novice how to install a .sys file as a driver I'd appreciate it :smooch:

And a merry Xmas to anyone celebrating it :wink:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi mnsk I found time :wink:

*Go into Device Manager as shown in my last post with devmgmt.msc.
*Under USB Controllers, right-click them and choose uninstall
*Restart your system and WinXP should install drivers for it itself, alerting you of new hardware found.
*If it doesn't install them from above links, downloaded
*If you get a new hardware found balloon click that, and if not, in Control panel>Add Hardware, do a scan and see whats detected.
*Choose to "point to the drivers- manually" and guide them to your desktop where you've saved the driver in its download folder.

That should now find you those drivers and give you a new window saying they're installed well. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Kalim, whenever I uninstall those and reboot it wont give any balloon to click on. There is a balloon but when I click it doesn't do anything, it just says the new hardware is ready to be used. And whenever I go through hardware scan it doesn't find anything new.

Also if I want to update drivers it asks for an .inf file and I only got the .sys file :(

Think I should format (again) and hope the drivers will install correctly then? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little update.

It seems that this might have fixed the problem of the BSODs. Whenever I run my external drive now and try to copy files or just browse I don't get BSODs anymore, which is a good thing! But at the same time there's a new problem.

Whenever I do these actions on my external drive it just 'freezes' up. So I can't do anything on E:\. C:\ is still accessable but 'cause E:\ freezed up I have irritating maps overlapsing each other which I can't do anything about because they're well, frozen :sigh:

No idea what to do now :4-dontkno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.