Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
first off, do you have any spare hard disks laying around?

if you do, you can pick up an empty external drive shell, and put your spare drive into it.

most hard disks are about 70$ for an 80 gig, and the shell is about 15$.

compare that to an external 80 gig already assembled for around 160$

so basically, the savings is severe if you put it together yourself.

and almost any drive shell will work with almost any hard disk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more information please..

80Gb = $???CAN

any brands i should be looking out for?

so i just plug and play? or is it more complicated?

thanks

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
You can buy a Seagate 160 gig external hdd for around $120, and a WD 120 gig for about the same. That's in US dollars.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Decide what you really need for an external drive. Do you want a networkable drive that all machines on a network can access (even when running a mix of MAC, Windows and Linux operating systems?) then a Network Hard Drive is what you should consider. Many of the Network drives also support a direct USB connection as well. They are on the average of about $1 USD per GB of storage, except at the upper end the 250-300 GB are slightly more.

I have a SmartDisk and have installed a number of NetDisks and everyone really likes them. A poor mans file server without the need to manage anything. If you need to make a direct connection, hook up to USB and go. Take the drive with you or hide it in the closet if utility room so when your house gets broken into and someone steals you computer(s) you still have all your important files, pictures, music etc. For around $130 US you can usually find a 120 GB Network drive. Hey even my wife thinks everyone should have one of these!!

See these links for some ideas

Network Drives

Other Network Storage Devices

JamesO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.