Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

Had a wee bit of a problem with my Windows Vista and had to back up all my files on a Buffalo External Hard Drive 500GB. Installed the new hard drive, no problem and did a back up. Had to re-intall Vista from scratch and there is where the problem started. When I tried to transfer the files from the Hard drive, the pc asked to format it first. Can't do that because the drive is full of work doc's, videos and pic's and I'm won't risk losing any of it. Any way, did a test disk run and the only thing that came through were the music files . My C: drive is maxed out due to the test disk. Still missing the important files. The hard drive shows both on my computer and device manager.

Any suggestions out there? Really need your help. :sigh:

Thanks

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Did you go straight to the file copy in test_disk, or did you have test disk try to rewrite the MBR and partition table? If test disk fails, no matter what recovery software you use, you will need enough free disk space to hold all the recovered files.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you go straight to the file copy in test_disk, or did you have test disk try to rewrite the MBR and partition table? If test disk fails, no matter what recovery software you use, you will need enough free disk space to hold all the recovered files.
Thanks for the response.

I followed Deleted090308 instructions on using the test disk and yes it did ask to write the MBR and partition table. I pressed Y.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.