Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using my external hard drive for about 2 years now with no problems at all. It is 500 GB with about 280 GB on it currently, yet every time I try to access the files I get the "This folder is empty." message. However, if I open Windows Media Player, I can still play all the videos/music from the drive and view the pictures with no problem. Its also saying that the drive is formatted to FAT32 if that makes any difference... I've read tons of things online but so far nothing has made any difference at all. If someone could please help me out it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks like someone else had the same issue as you on this forum and they fixed it by running chkdsk.

"The Error Checking finally finished and my drive showed back up along with all the folders and files. Hopefully it stays that way without any further issues. If I get the same problem again I will replace the enclosure/cable as you suggested.
Thank you for your assistance :D"

So what I'd suggest you do is right click on your external hard drive, click properties, then select tools, and under Error-Checking click Check Now. Mark both boxes when the new window appears and run the error checking. This will probably take at least an hour on your drive. Hopefully it solves your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Go to the folder and right click it>> select properties>>and in the dialogue box that appears review your security permissions.

·
Registered
40,653 Posts
You can recover your files by using the free TestDisk program I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to. Once you are safely backed up, Format the troublesome drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.