Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ACOM external USB hard drive (model HD040U2E, 40 GB, about 3-4 years old). It has been working fine thus far with my PC, now it does not get recognized by my PC.

I have tried:

1. checked status in device manager - fine
2. uninstalled device, rebooted pc, then plugged in device to PC and allow Window to re-install automatically -- i've done this a few times already and one of either 3 things happens: (1) says device failed to install properly, OR (2) says device cannot be started (Code 10), OR (3) it says device was installed properly and is ready to use; however, it does not get recognized in Explorer.

also -- sometimes my PC will hang when i plug in the drive (e.g. right clicking on MY Computer will make it hang, double clicking on 'safely remove hardware' icon in task bar hangs, etc.). then when i unplug the usb cable, it will finish everything that was hanging.

i also have another pocket external hard drive and it still works fine.

although I am not a techie, i'm thinking that it must be a hardware problem with my external drive itself. this leads me to my next question: i need to get the data from the hard drive (I don't care if i have to throw this drive away after i retrieve the data) - what are my options???

(I hope this makes sense, i've never done anything like this before) Can i take apart the external hard drive (so i can access the actual hard drive itself), remove the hard drive itself, then plug it into another compatible external hard disk unit to see if i can retrieve the data? I guess this would be assuming something is wrong with either one of the interfaces, external hard drive power supply, etc. (?????)

any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance...

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick question...

JohnWill - thank you for your response. Quick question before I try this: (I'm not a techie) -- there are quite a few entries under USB CONTROLLERS (such as Intel USB host controllers, USB root hubs, etc..) -- after I uninstall these devices, will they re-install automatically when I reboot?? I just wanted to make sure I won't dig a deeper hole for myself after I do this...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re:

Thanks johnwill. I am away on business right now but I'll def try that when I get home this weekend and let you know what happened.

thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.