Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I can't find my external hard drive on my PC. I recently got a MacBook Pro, and plugged in the external hard drive. Everything was working fine until I opened the 'Time Machine' I accidentally clicked the 'erase' button instead of cancel, but I unplugged the cord to the external hard drive before anything started.

I have tried plugging in the external hard drive to my custom pc, a razer laptop, and the MacBook Pro, but the drive does not show up on any of them. When I go to 'Disk Management', I can see the disk there. However, when I right click, the only option available is to delete the volume, which I do not want to do because I have a lot of videos/photos only saved on this hard drive. Here is what it looks like: Gyazo. If you have any advice, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,784 Posts
I see you're being helped elsewhere, please let us know how you get on.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,366 Posts
Oddba11 was right. Something definitely happened before you unplugged the cable, otherwise you wouldn't have started these threads. You don't really think your reflex is faster than a computer that performs thousands of calculations per second, do you? The volume has no filesystem and no drive letter (mount point) assigned to it, so it will not appear in My Computer. Your best bet is to use a data recovery program to restore the partition's filesystem to ntfs, restore the lost volume or recover the files it finds. I have had luck restoring lost volumes using TestDisk (link is in my signature).

·
Banned
2 Posts
If the drive still isn't working, unplug it and try a different USB port. ... If it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it's plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead. You might also try it in another computer.

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
AS soon as you press the Erase button, the computer starts the process. When you unplug the drive at this point, you have corrupted the Headers, or the Table of Contents of the files, sometimes this can be repaired, but you will probably have to use Data Recovery Software to recover your files to a different drive.
On your Mac, with the drive plugged in, open Disk Utilities. If the drive shows up on the left panel, click First Aid, see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts