Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As I'm sure you can see from the join date and the post count, I'm a total newb. That said, I'll spare you the usual groveling.

I have a 160 GB Hitachi Deskstar that I got a little under a year ago, that I use in combination with an Adaptec external USB enclosure to connect it to my laptop. Yesterday when I plugged it in, Windows informed it it was "searching for drivers" then after churning for a minute or so it said it had installed a "disk drive" but showed me nothing under either My Computer or device manager. I tried hooking it up to a friend's laptop with the same results. I opened the enclosure and disconnected and reconnected both the power and IDE cables with still no result. I can't take the enclosure out of the picture because the only desktop I have's IDE channel is burnt out.

Is my precious data fried? Is there any hope? I have no backup because it's a sizable amount of data and I don't have the space on any other drive for all of it, nor the time it would take to do DVD backups of everything.

Any help anyone could give me would be extremly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Do you know anyone with a desktop computer that you could possibly hook it up to as a slave?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.