Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Maxtor External Personal Storage Hard Drive Model 3100 died a couple of weeks ago, and I've exhausted all my means of getting it to work again. Luckily, I only lost one unimportant file. Anyway, my curious nature led me to opening it up to look inside. It's basically an internal drive rigged up to work externally. My question is: could I put in another hard drive from a different manufacturer, close up the case, and have it work without issue? I have a new Seagate internal drive that I was going to put in my computer, but when I realized that this Maxtor external drive was basically a rigged up internal drive, I started to think about the convenience of having the external drive in the first place. I don't want to damage this drive by trying to hook it up unless somebody here can assure me that it would work. Any thoughts, opinions, etc are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
as far as i know they are just a hard drive put into an enclosure,a number of people find it cheaper to buy them seperately and put them together themselves

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
as dai said, they are commonly just a normal setup.

if yours doesn't appear normal inside, and you can't get it to accept another drive, you can always buy a new external USB 2.0 hard disk enclosure for between 15 and 20 dollars.

then stick any hard disk you want in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.