Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we (my wife and I) purchased a Seagate external Hard Drive to back up our digital pictures. My wife then wanted to take the External Hard Drive to work, so she could move / delete pictures around (clean things up). The problem is that when she connects it to her work computer, it recognizes the drive but it will not allow her to delete/move/ or edit the pictures in the various file folders.

I have done some research and some have said its a admistration rights issue, security issue, read / write issue between Vista and XP.

I am not sure what operating system she is using at work, she said Vista sounded familar but I have a hard time believing that a company has already adopted Vista so it could be XP Pro. At home we are using XP Pro

I am stumped. Can anyone provide some assistance? I dont recall ever experiencing this problem with any other EXternal hard drive I own.

Thanks in advance.

·
Oh! What shall I be?
2,740 Posts
It may be where she works. If they have it set so she can not do a lot with the computers, it might not work there without getting someone with admistration rights to do it for her. I know USB flash drives use a generic driver which normally works with any user, but if the hard drive requries more than this, it may not be possible for her. I would say (if possible)she contact the person in charge of the computers there about this and see if they can help. There should not be anythng wrong with the drive if it works on your computer. Also if it is Vista were she works, i am not sure if it will have a driver for it or if she as to install one, but if Vista generally still should work but there is a chance it may not.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have to log in as an admin on the work computer. Then you right click on the ext drive -> Click 'Properties' -> Click on the 'Security' tab -> add your wifes user (on the work pc) -> give it full access -> Click 'OK'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! This really sucks.:upset: Her work computer is using Windows XP Pro and they log in with a "department generic" account, which definitely does not have admin access. :4-thatsba IS there any other way around this?

What about a different type of drive? Seagate makes a drive called a FreeAgent GO (excerpt from their website: "Whether using a computer at work, school, a business center, an Internet cafe or library, have your desktop environment and latest files with you. Along with up to 160 glorious gigabytes, FreeAgent™ Go software lets you carry lots of great programs and all your browser favorites and passwords without having to haul around your computer. Now any PC can temporarily become your PC. ") :sigh:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Maybe you can add the work PC account while on the home computer... Try adding the work PC:s network name and user name and give it full access.

Or, you could move all the files to an internal HDD, format the external HDD to FAT32 and then move everything back the the external. I guarantee it'll work if you do this because FAT32 doesn't have any access control at all.

You format by right clicking 'My Computer' -> Click on 'Manage' -> Click on 'Disk management' -> Right click on your external disk -> Click on 'Format' -> Use the maximum available size and select FAT32 -> Wait while it formats your disk -> Assign a drive letter -> Move your data back. Then you're done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,..
.I hope someone can help here.I have a recently purchased WD usb external hard drive. A mac user has put lots of video files on it for me, as I was being filmed etc.
I have now plugged into my laptop, and although the device manager says the hard drive is there, it does not come up on the windows explorer, so I cannot open it to access my files. Anyone got any idea what to do. I have tried unplugging, replugging, rebooting etc and till it doesn't come up.
It does register on the bar at the bottom of the screen, so that I can safely eject,...but not on my computer as a hard drive.
Many thanks
Quantumgirl

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should have made a new thread, Quantumgirl.

But, the reason it can't be accessed is probably that it is formatted in a Mac file system. Go into disk management and check what file system it uses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for that.
One problem, where is the disk management? Sorry to seem less than savvy but I am not sure where to go to find it on my laptop.
You could be right too, about the mac format.If this is so, then how do I get it back to PC without losing all the data?
Quantum girl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.