Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external hard drive and a 1GB travel drive that I use interchangeably between my work laptop and home PC. My traveldrive no longer is saving documents (I get a file permission error) and when I looked at the drive, the Traveldrive was opening as an F: drive, now it is showing G: drive and is not working correctly. Help! I have a lot of work on the traveldrive and am no longer able to save info. on it UGH!!! How do I get it back to F: drive?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello & Welcome to TSF

this sounds like a driver issuse

try this

now what i you need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they

now scroll down to your (USB Device Tree) and uninstall all that it is shown / then shut your sysem down compleatly then unplug all (USB Devices) then rebot your system 2 to 3 times

this will cause Windows to rebuild the (USB Device Treee & Drivers)

now try hooking up your (USB Devices) and see if they work properly

then get back to us

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK....a little bit confused. I was able to locate the hidden files and the only yellow exclamation pt was PARPORT.

I was unsure of the USB tree and want to make sure what I'm deleting is correct???

Thanks for further info.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello

what you need to do is uninstall everything in that tree

you (DO NOT DELEAT ANYTHING) you (UNINSTALL)

for when you deleat it will remove it from your system permanantly

for when you uninstll then when you do a reboot it will enable your system to reinstall the devices

it is called rebuilding the usb tree

you xespand the tree so that you can see all devices in it / then start from the bottom and selecting each one at a time by right clicking on it and select (uninstall)

if it ask to do a reboot you need to say /select (later)

when you get them all uninstalled then shut your system down compleatly

then unhook all devices except for usb mouse & keyboard / this means printers / webcams / ect ...

then restsrat your system

do a restart 2 times

okay now shut down compleatly & hook all your usb devices back up & restart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.