Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on using external hard-disks as back-up media. There is a LaCie External 250 Mb for £100.00. Seems like a bargain. Drag is that they need separate power supplies. Are these a worth-while investment?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Imho yes. I use a usb external drive 120gigs. I like the fact that it has its
own power supply. Less drag on your system. I leave mine off until I need
it. When I get done with it I turn it off. I like that versatility.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
External hard disks are GREAT! :grin:

They are totally independent of your system, you can power them off and protect your backups, they're portable, and did I mention they're handy as hell! I have a bunch of them here, and my customers use them as well.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I guess everyone has different views on this. I have 2 external hard drives and I can't remember the last time I had used them. I usually just back everything onto a separate server. But I guess if you don't have that kind of redundancy equipment around, external drives would be great.

Quick tip,
The two external drives I have are just 40GB and 120GB laptop drives in an external cases. The do not require any external power supply because they draw power from the USB ports. However laptop drives can be pricey.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Joe, I also have a separate server that just sits there for backup from the other machines, and I have a daily automated backup. I also do data backups to a different physical drive on this machine twice a day.

OTOH, when I backup to the external drives, I then turn them off, so any data on them is 100% safe from corruption. Also, it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to have that extra copy of my data. YMMV

For folks that just want a reliable backup device, an external hard disk is about as cheap and convenient as it gets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
be careful of power supply tho

I had one just die on me- with external power supply.

When I think back it was on a power bar that I could switch on /off.

Someone stole (!) my power bar and I just had to plug it in so it got dirty-power at power up / down.

I believe this is what killed it - the electronic board I believe.

Hope this note prevents someone else having the same problem.

On which note, if anyone knows where I can find an IBM 80.4GB as follows:

Model No. IC35L090AVV207-0

Part No. 07N9685

MLC: H69205

Please email me (at john bangkok (at) g mail . com
[remove all spaces]

I am hoping to replace the board and see if I can get back at data. Can't justify recovery services - unless anyone knows a very cheap one.

(Most critical data was double-backed up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.