Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i took out my old external maxtor 40 gig hard disk ata 133 from old desktop to use as external on laptop...jus bought this external enclosure

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5229263363&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

i have assembled the hole thing but when i connect it to my computer

it detects a usb to ide device

usb mass storage device

then after a while jus says there has been a error in instllation and the new hard disk might not work properly:S<<<<<<<

what to i do..do i need to activate it in bios?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been in device manager there is nothing about it there just says usb mass storage device although no d: pops up in my computer.....i have also noticed the hard disk keeps spinning but the light (indicating its on) turns off.....but the hard disk is spinning....any idea!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
jumpers: little black plastic things on the back of your hard drive, next to the power connector. You change their position or remove to change the hard drive's mode (master/slave). There should be a diagram on the hard drive showing how to set it up.

EDIT: btw, use the 'Edit' button to remove your email address unless you want to be flooded with spam!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wel the hard disk was old u see:D i jus took it out of me desktop its the enclosure tht i bought......u mean the long strip like thing next to the small poswer input right? how and what do i do with them....adn wha will this do...the hard disk works on my other ccomputer(internal) but not on laptop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.