Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im setting up an external drive and i wanna get something mad huge. i found a 160 gig online for about 220$ after shipping, but it says it's an OEM Bare Drive. what the hell does that mean and will it probably be able to connect to my external case (my external case rocks- firewire, usb 2/1, but it requires external power too which sucks bong)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay, what you need is something called a FireWire drive. Maxtor makes these, as do Western Digital and others.

Western Digital 120 GB FireWire External HDD

That is what I would recommend. Western Digital drives are among the best, and while Maxtors are up there, you would be better off without the additional 40 GBs in favor of reliability.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay, let me explain what OEM means.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. This is corporate-speak for a Computer Maker. When say, a company like Falcon Northwest is assembling their computers, they don't run out to CompUSA and buy 80 Western Digital drives, in their packaging and all. What is done is they buy them in bulk, essentially only the drives. It saves a large amount of money and space by removing the extra packaging, and the company adds their cables and HDD drivers.

Now when you go out and buy an "OEM" or "bare-bones" drive, you are only buying the drive, not the packaging or anything else. Factory warranties for OEM bulk shipments depend entirely on the manufacturer of the drive.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats all i needed to know- the thing about the oem thing. i already have a 45 gig firewire that im selling. my pc has a 30 gig and a 60 gig and then my laptop has a 20. im selling both the 45 and the 60 on ebay or something and then buying a 160 to put in my enclosure. im into digital arts stuff so this low space is not cool. i just cant wait til hologram storage hits big market.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Eh, hologram storage is wayyy off in terms of release-to-market, but the new drool is Serial ATA. BTW, has anyone heard of a product timeline for SATA drives and controllers and such?

Mmm...SCSI-type daisychainin'.

S

·
0 Posts
Does firewire eliminate the ide part of the hookup altogether?

What I'm getting at is if the motherboard is only compatable with up to an 80 gig. hard drive can you use a 160 gig. drive with firewire..............:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
It eliminates the IDE hookup entirely on the computer end. For the most part, the IDE drive is hooked into an adaptor which converts the interface to FireWire.

It's just like a PCMCIA hard drive on a laptop (neat stuff), it just hooks up through an I/O interface and some drivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.