Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a I/O Magic Databank 250 Gig External Drive. It's impossible to copy a large files (by large, I mean video files, around 200-600MB) from my internal hard drive to it. Windows can rcognize it and do the copy process but after a while, it'll appeared an error message: Failure to write on disk or something like that.

I did a test of my USB ports and it turned out that it's a deceptive USB 2.0 (not Hi-speed). I've been wondering if that's the problem.

So I connected the I/O Magic drive to my bro's computer (Hi-speed USB ports and SATA internal drive, mine is IDE internal drive). It worked just fine.:4-dontkno

I connected his Seagate 250GB external drive to my computer and it worked just fine too :eek:

When both is connected to my bro's computer, they worked just fine although the Seagate drive write data faster (that is understandable)

I've been bugging to buy a new USB Hi-speed PCI card but I don't know for sure.

Any help is much appreciate.

Btw, I've been in the forum for a while and the tips are so helpful :smile:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I cant help but think thats wasting money though, to spend money to make a slower drive work :sigh:
you could sell off that one on ebay and get the seagate version your borther has?

you could remove the drive from the external enclosure and use it as an IDE internal drive, that may well (should) speed it up.

Then buy a Seagate drive like your brother has if that works well on your computer. This will be more outlay of cash up front, but your getting alot more too.

I wonder what the rotational speed and cache are of your current external drive please post the specs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, this thread is like 2 weeks old, but I just got a USB Hi Speed PCI Card. It's a IOGear 5 port USB bought from amazon.com

I can't say I'm happier with it. Only after like 4,5 reboot and switch the card around the PCI slot (it's really a pain), I got the drivers installed (although my OS is XP Home SP2, which supposed to install the drivers as it plugged in)

I can "feel" the faster copy speed, but with large files (like 700MB videos files), it just delay at the middle or at the end of the progress.

And even worse, after it finished copying, I can't even play the files, Windows Media Player would freeze (on the external drive, when it's plugged in to the port on the new card). I still could play the files on the external drive if it's plugged in to the normal (not Hi-speed) USB ports (it delay here and there though).

With all those problems, I'm not sure if it's the drive issue, or the motherboard, or the main internal drive. I'd love to know before I'm going to throw more bucks into it. The external drive is a gift so I kinda wanna keep it.

Also noted that, when I tried the new card with my flash drive, it work just fine (no problem finalizing the copy nor playing it on the drive).

Additionally, I read several discussions about the Delayed Write Failure, I wonder if it's the problem (because with the normal USB ports before, I often get the dialog "Recycle bin on drive J:/ is corrupt..." randomly when I tried to empty the Recycle Bin. The Delayed Write Failure would also popped up if a copy progress failed (those are with the normal USB ports):upset:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if you are patient you could try zero filling the drive and reformatting it

its possible due to write delays the formatting may not have been up to snuff ?

its worth a shot and its a free adventure google for Killdisk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.