Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My laptop started crashing while booting up. I tried all sorts of things to get it going but nothing seemed to work. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I have had a catastrophic failure.

The last back-up of the laptop is about a month old and a few of the things that we did recently are fairly important so I decided to just get that data and then reformat/reinstall XP (assuming that the HD is still usable).

A work mate has an external HD jack so I was able to remove the HD from the laptop and, using this jack, I was hoping to plug the HD into a PC (that is running XP Pro SP3) and get what data I can off the laptop.

The problem is, when I plug this external HD jack into the PC USB, the PC starts to recognise the External HD then crashed to Blue Screen of Death for the PC.

If the Laptop HD is completely dead I can't understand why it would crash the PC. I have software to try to recover data from the Laptop HD but I can't run it to get the data if plugging the Laptop into the PC crashes the PC.

I tried disabling the Autorun function for XP (as per the following knowledgebase article from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715) but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Has anyone got any suggestions or know any way that I can plug in the External HD without crashing XP on the PC?

Thanks in advance

Simon

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Boot the PC without the USB/Hd adapter plugged in. After the PC is fully booted connect the USB/Hdd adapter. If the Hdd is IDE, be certain is is jumpered Master.
Try the drive/adapter on another PC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.