Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the PC environment (as far as installing hardware and software) so don't laugh. I attempted to add an Acer 4406EU 4x4x6 USB external CD-RW and Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.x to my system and I didn't realize until it was too late that the driver(s) is/are not compatible with Windows XP Professional. I uninstalled the device and the software but when I boot my system, I get the following: "Device or applications disabled. 'CD recording software' will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading." I've already been to the Roxio support site and performed their recommendations with regards to the registry but the message still reappears every time I boot up. I think that the problem is with the Adaptec Easy CD Creator install / uninstall but I don't know what. The two drivers involved are CDR4_2K and CDRALW2K; I moved them from my DRIVERS folder and lost my internal CD reader. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remove any cd/cd-r from device manager. Restart PC or refresh device manager. Make sure you are using latest drivers for the ACER external. Install CD creator 6.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for adding that John. When I've installed the newer software it has corrected any reg entries during install, but I guess if you'r enot going to use CD creator again it'll still have that prob. HP recording software does the same thing at times.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Some of the most recent versions of some CD packages are cleaning up the filters, but many don't, I've used this link dozens of times with success. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to JohnWill and Hooligan for the expeditious replies; I appreciate it. I've done all of that stuff already except for refreshing the registry. How do I do that ? I'm a mainframe guy and I'm used to updates being committed upon file closure. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks again, guys.

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
Well, there's good news, and there's bad news. :D

There is no "refresh" of the registry, when you make a change in REGEDIT, it's DONE! There is no undo, you have made your decision. Pretty classy, no? NOT!!! :rolleyes:

To complete the process after modifying the registry, you frequently have to reboot, so I'd suggest that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, JohnWill, I'm at a loss. I've done everything that I know to do. And sorry; no, I don't have any old or otherwise pistols. Thanks for taking the time to post and for the info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
to "refresh" the registry:D (never heard it called that before)...in XP Professional go to System Restore and choose a restore point before you installed driver/software. Anytime you have a problem you should try System Restore first...only takes a minute and fixes most issues.

FYI...95/98/ME drivers are totally different than NT/2000/XP drivers and can not be swapped...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the post, x5dr. I'll give it a shot and get back to you. And I've been treated very well here, johnwill; I'm just getting the feel for the forum and I want to do things correctly. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.