Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just exploring options now to see if I really want to do this.

details:
Lenovo B570 laptop
Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
available ports on computer:

• VGA
  • HDMI
  • eSATA
  • RJ-45
  • USB (three total)
This laptop is used both at home and away. For convenience I would like to use an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor for use with the laptop when at home. When the budget permits in the future, I wish to add a desktop to share these external devices with the laptop.

My research to date is pointing me toward a KVM switch. Wireless connection to the laptop would be a bonus if the expense is not too great. I am not very hardware savvy; so I am not really sure how to read the specs on all the devices (KVM switch, monitor, keyboard, and mouse) for compatibility with the laptop and future use of common devices for both machines.

Is the set up I have in mind feasible and trouble free? Is there a better way to accomplish the desired upgrade? What features and specs are critical in my choice of devices?

thanks for your advice,
over_my_head

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
Replace the laptop.

Your upgrade options are limited to HDD and RAM. Everything else is part of the motherboard and cannot be changed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dogg,

I failed to communicate with you. Maybe I should not have used the word "upgrade". I meant something to the effect of expanding existing inventory of hardware.

I don't wish to replace the laptop. I am using it for school. I don't care for the smaller keyboard, smaller monitor, and touch pad for use at home. That is why I would like to use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse at home. I am planning to have a desktop also in my study at home and would like to share the monitor, keyboard, and mouse between the two machines. The future desktop machine is intended for all non-school use.

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
You can connect a monitor to the laptop video output port (VGA or HDMI). A mouse and keyboard would need to be connected to the USB ports. Or get a docking station and everything will connect to the docking station.

A KVM switch connects to the same ports as the keyboard/mouse/monitor, and those items then connect to the KVM. The switch is then used to switch between the PC's.

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
A few basic things to watch for: 1) video port type (VGA/DVI/HDMI) 2) supported video resoutions and 3) spend extra for a name brand model. Better support and fewer technical issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dogg,

I'll be on the lookout for those things. I am all for compatibility and better support and fewer technical issues.

over_my_head

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.