Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! I've done so many system restores that I could do it in my sleep!! My computer automatically installs the Windows updates and each time it does, I have to do a restore to remove them because IE says "cannot display the webpage please check your internet connection". What is going on?? I hope something simple. Thanks!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Run msinfo32 - save as an NFO file
START | type msinfo32 - you'll see the "NFO" file ext when you go to save it

Zip it up (RIGHT-click on the NFO file, select 'send to", 'compressed (Zipped) folder'. Then look for 'msinfo32.zip'

Upload it & attach to next post.

I'll take a quick look & see what I can find.

jcgriff2

·
34,376 Posts

·
34,376 Posts
Hi -

The msinfo32 NFO file revealed all - thank you for running it. You do have Norton Internet Security installed -
Code:
[FONT=Lucida Console]
Norton Internet Security	Norton Internet Security	Running	Auto	Own Process	

"c:\program files\norton internet security\engine\16.0.0.125\ccsvchst.exe" /s "norton internet security" /m "c:\program files\norton internet security\engine\16.0.0.125\dimaster.dll" /prefetch:1	Normal	LocalSystem	0

[/FONT]
NIS may be the reason that IE 8 is not working. I suggest that you un-install it using the Norton Removal Tool (NRT).

Download the NRT; save to desktop. Then go to desktop, RIGHT-click on the NRT icon and select Run as Administrator. When complete - re-boot.

NRT - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply, OK

Use AVG for a/v if you wish - http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi SonjaM7312,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

You are using an older version of Norton internet Security that is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8. One of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton internet Security is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. The current version of Norton Internet Security is the 2010 version, which is fully compatible with IE 8. The easiest way to update to the latest version is to perform a clean installation. Please carefully follow the steps below to update to the latest version. Make note of your current Activation Key, which you will use to activate the 2010 version.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and choose "Save File". This is the latest installer file for Norton Internet Security 2010

Norton Internet Security 2010 installer

4. Double-click on the installer file to begin the installation, which should take no more than 2-3 minutes to complete. If you are prompted for an Activation Key, enter the key from the older version.

5. When the installation is complete, launch Norton Internet Security 2010 and select "Run LiveUpdate" to ensure that you get the latest updates applied. NOTE, the LiveUpdate and Pulse Updates features are automatic.

Now test out IE 8 and let me know if you can now connect to the internet. If you receive an error when you first open IE 8, then manually type an address into the Address bar and see if that works.

Thank you,
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.