Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get my new Dell 8250, running XP; & although I was hoping for more system stability, wound up with less.

First problem out of the gate was that certain links at certain websites, most of which are java based, didn't work at all.

Never got that problem resolved before a new one cropped up. Now, it seems like the functionality of Windows Explorer is totally messed up.

In Explorer itself, whenever I browse to certain folders or files, a message pops up that reads: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem & needs to close. Please tell Microsoft about the problem. We have created an error report...blah, blah, blah." The error report completes; & everything dies away to the desktop. (Still haven’t figured out how to actually send the report…or if it does so automatically.)

In graphics apps that browse to locations for opening files (Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, etc.), same thing happens. No warning here, though. The app just crashes; & takes everything that wasn't saved with it. In my web editor (Dreamweaver MX), attempting to insert graphics files into layers causes the same thing.

Has anybody else experienced symptoms such as this in XP (or heard about it)? I can't even try to resolve the issue by changing the names of the suspicious files or folders, 'cause I can't get that far.

Please help.

Thanks,

mark4man

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dell OEM installs are notorious for crashing... If this is a new PC and you have really nothing important on it yet, I would do a clean install of Xp...

When I got my Dell, first thing I did was reformat the drive and did a clean install of Windows... That's just me though...:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drifters,

For what it's worth...I had been thinking about the origin of the folders in question; & that they were part of a major backup from my old PC, in order to move everything important to the new PC. Then I remembered that; in the process of burning those files & folders to CD-R for transfer, my software (Nero) had coughed up a warning about standard file saving conventions; & how some folders were deeper in level than the standard.

So I went back to the folders in question; & found that they were 9 levels deep. I then moved the root folder of that group (which contained all the folders at their various levels) to my C Drive. Now they were 7 levels deep; & it eliminated the problem. I can now navigate to those problem folders from Explorer (& various graphics apps), view all the contents; & open any file without a glitch.

Thing is...even though I'm happy about that, I'm not sure if it makes sense. I went into the help topics of the Nero burning software; & found the convention. It's the ISO 9660 standard, which permits file level depth only to 8; & limits file names to 255 characters.

Is this standard/limitation relative to CD-R data transfer? If I created a tree solely in Windows Explorer, could I assign folders deeper than 8 levels...& was the fact that I burned the folders outside of compliance with the standard the cause of the faulty tree once it resided on my PC?

Have I really corrected the problem, or did I just put a band-aid on it?

Thanks,

mark4man

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am getting the same issues with Windows Explorer crashing on folders more than several levels deep yet when I move these folders (that cause the Microsoft 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem' message) to the Desktop for instance, the folders can view fine. Again I am also concerned that I may have found away to avoid the crashing, yet have not actually fixed the real problem, are you still having this issue and have you found a cure?

I too have a Dell Dimension, an 8300 which came with Windows XP Pro preinstalled, I don't want to do a clean intall unless absolutely necessary. Also My Photoshop behaves in the same way so I am guessing we have a common problem?

Would love to hear any solutions as Dell support have helped yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.