Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is explorer.exe always using up so much memory? It usually starts out ok but after using it for a few days, the mem usage rises unusually high...making it almost impossible to do anything. I know many other people have this problem. Is there any remedy for this?

After ending explorer.exe from the process tree in the Task Manager, only the backround picture remains...no icons, taskbar, or start menu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Explorer.exe essentially handles the Windows GUI, like the taskbar, start-menu, desktop, etc. If you try to close that, you're closing Windows. Why it takes more and more memory? I don't know, it's windows? :p

No, much love for Windows, it owns meh.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Unless your computer is functioning as a server that requires constant uptime, you should restart the computer at least once a day. Computers tend to become more and more unstable as they are left on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does restarting a computer so often have any negative effects such as wearing down components? It isn't a server...just a personal laptop.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I wouldn't think so...aside from taking up a bit of juice from your battery if you're on the go, I really don't think it would hurt anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same prob

hi guys,

i have also the same problem.
in my task manager i monitor the explorer.exe which takes sometimes over 200.000k of Memory!!!!
(lucky me i have 1GB ram!)

but it still is unpleasant. + it takes also all my cpu power away!!!

up till now i found one way to stop it : reboot windows.
if it keeps on coming back... format your pc.

i mostly have this problem when i start playing a movie and when i close my media player the explorer.exe starts growing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
just checked mine and it is using 17,060k. Don't know if it would effect it but are you using Active Desktop? Is its Priority set higher than NORMAL? Have you disabled any services (tweaks found at blackviper.com)

·
Registered
2 Posts
it seems to be that the problems are caused by some P2P programs (cfr. Kazaa Lite K++)
the P2P installs GMT.exe (useless program), i kicked it out of my registry (deleted all the keys which maches the key GMT.exe) and now it works fine. (without the Kazaa of course.)

another possibility might be a virus which is not detected by your virus scanner, even when you have the most up2date virus definitions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.