Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok whoever can fix my comp is a total geek :laugh:

Well yesterday i was normally doing stuff on my computer and accidentally uninstalled something i didn't think i needed (and I'm not sure if its causing the problem either) so it said to uninstall the program you had to restart your comp, which of i did of course. Then a error popped up saying explorer.exe the application failed to initialize properly error Oxc0000005 . I know explorer.exe is a process that shows everything like your icons and start menu and wallpaper etc. so i couldn't see any icons and had to use task manager to open FF and now I'm here typing this post.
So can any of you had this problem or can help? I would appreciate it so much

PS: the think i uninstalled was IE 8 from add/remove programs and Internet explorer from add/remove windows components

·
Banned
454 Posts
err dont't you think i've tried that along with all 3 safe modes?
You failed to mention that in your OP. So now I am considering:

1) What else you have failed to mention.
2) How much effort I'm going to have to put into getting this information from you.
3) How much "attitude" I'm going to have to endure during this process.
4) How likely I am to lose my self-discipline and REALLY tell you what I think.
5) What the consequences might be, and how that compares to how much I'd enjoy it.
6) Do I really care if your computer gets fixed ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As much as I feel for Johnny in this situation. I must help.

start

run <MRT>

let it do its thing

or using your Antivirus of choice locate and remove your little non paying renter. once you have located the intruder and you will. you can unregister it in the registry using UBCD for windows and remove it manually. I do apologize for the crypticness, but the research and effort will serve you well later because obviously you have little respect for free help. and sooner or later you will be doing it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi allenfoote

I have the same problem as Richard123. I followed your and Johnny Tremaine advice but none helped to solve the problem.

MRT result was 0, I tried the save mode and last good config as well but that did not help either. Earlier today I created a BradPE boot disk, but the disk did not have a defrag util on it. So thanks for the pointer to UBCD which I'm currently downloading.

Do you have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
stevenVenter,

if you can reach the task manager, start a new task, enter explorer.exe as the task this will give you back the desk top. if you are using spybot search and destroy...click on the tab at the top marked mode. choose the advanced setting. this will give you additional tools including a registry scanner. this may help with some of the problem. afterwards, restart, boot from your xp cd, into recovery console. when the c:\ promt comes up enter: sfc /scannow. this is the system file scanner, it will scan the files and replace any that are corrupt or missing. after it is done reboot to windows. good luck, keep me posted.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
You cannot run SFC from the Recovery Console, only from Command Prompt or Run box. So, do a CTRL+ALT+Del and go to the Task Manager and go to File/New Task(RUN) and type SFC /scannow. The Windows File Protection window pops up. You may need your XP CD for this. It will restore any system files it needs from the disc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help and info.

If I run SFC /scannow a info box (Windows File Protection) with a progress bar appear but as soon as the progress is complete noting happens. I tried this is normal operational mode. I will try it in safe mode as well.

Question
This machine has an Access Control application with Access database file on it. One could re-install the OS and applications, after backing up the database files. Or one could try to fix the problem by following the information supplied by you.

My question is, if one fix the problem (no new installation), will the system be 100% operational or could it cause problems later on?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.