Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think everything begain with firefox restarting in the background on its own. Today, after I uninstalled firefox, I found that my Windows was slower than usual. It was still acceptable.Then I discovered that it was explorer.exe that was eating up the cpu. I tried running the system in safe mode. The situation was gone. Explorer.exe returned to normal. I restarted Windows multiple times in normal mode, safe mode, and diagnostic mode to see if there's any programs or services causing such program. It turned out that only safe mode solved the problem. But I wouldn't want to run my computer in safe mode on a regular basis.
Somehow, my computer is now even worse. It is taking more than the usual to load. I waited for more around 10 minutes, and it still didn't finish loading.

I am well aware of running spybot (again), ad-aware, online virus scanners in safe mode. I just ran spybot and panda active scan earlier today. I also ran housecall and bitdefender and cwshredder yesterday.

Should I download AVG and Cleanup and run everything over again in safe mode and post a HJT log if the problem still persists?

Could it be that Windows is running super slow because my harddrive is quite fragmented? But then I haven't downloaded or stored much. I had my other computer being quite fragmented before, there wasn't any noticeable effect.

Update: Windows is so laggy that it takes forever to get something opened.
Update: I finally get to end task explorer.exe to get other stuff running fine and smooth. Somehow, I just explorer.exe to restart, and it's shot up to 100% again, though it's slightly better.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay, I'm not an expert or pro, but - if after the HJT and antivirus/spyware thing it's still laggy, I would assume explorer got messed up. I would uninstall and reinstall from add/remove windows components. I think that because I've had instances before of various browsers screwing up explorer (I think it was something in the winsock settings, I don't know) upon uninstall. Especially if you've played with IP anonymizers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i scanned my computer with avg and spybot, but couldn't find anything

is there a way to check what my explorer.exe is trying to do?

if i do decide to reinstall explorer.exe
how do i do it? what would i lose if i reinstall it?

for that computer, i am just booting it in safe mode for now, don't really know how to fix the problem

thanks in advance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.