Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone give me an explanation of how the profiles work in 2000 in relation to domain profiles vs. local profiles. I know that when you set up a new client (PC) to the network and you add a domain profile to the local PC that the user has access to all of the local resources, and if they are part of the administrators group, they have administrative control over the local PC. I guess one main question is if you set up a user with such an account, is there any reason for providing that user with a local account? Even if the PC is disconnected from the network if you indicate that you're logging on to the network domain, you can still access the local machine using the domain account, so what would the need be for a local profile. yeah, you need one to log on to the local domain, but why would you need to log on to the local domain when you can log on to the network domain (even if disconnected from the network) and access all of the local resources..

thanx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Relly depends on what you want your users to have access too. And I think your meaning 'user account's' instead of profiles.Profiles are a entire diff. beast in w2k but very handy if implimented right.
Local vs. Domain accounts. While either give you access to the local machines resources, if you aren't logged onto the actual domain you will get a challenge when trying to access domain resources. Given the 2 types I would give your users domain accounts. Personally I make the users power users instead of admin's, but that depends on how skilled the users are.
We keep a renamed admin and a 'backdoor' local account on each machine for us to log in when you need access w/o network connection.

Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.