Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you gurus will be around over a weekend, but here goes!
I've done a recent install of XPpro SP3 which went without any difficulty but soon after I got a popup complaining that a USB device was malfunctioning. After a short while the CPU usage rises to 100% making the computer virtually unusable.

Task manager shows explorer.exe to be using 100% CPU resources.

Unplugging the USB keyboard and mouse restores usage to normal levels.

Running in safe mode gives normal CPU usage with mouse & keyboard connected.

Replacing keyboard and mouse does not solve the problem.

I've uninstalled the USB devices in Device Manager and eventually deleted the relevant USB entries from the registry to allow Windows to do a new install, but the problem persists.
It seems to me that this is a software issue and I'm probably facing a new Windows install, unless one of you kind souls can offer some better advice?
Grateful thanks,
Martin

·
Banned
395 Posts
If it runs in safe mode, but has problems in normal mode, it's more than likely 3rd party software causing the problem and not XP or a hardware issue.

Launch Task Manager and see if you can see what process/executable is using all the CPU.

Also, Start>Run>(type)"msconfig" and turn off all non-MS Services and all Startups and see if the problem goes away. Then, turn things on selectively until you (maybe) find the one that is the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, now. It seems that one of my USB memory sticks is a bit iffy and upset Windows no end, although it works without complaint on other machines. It must be a hardware/software collusion. Even after removal Windows still remembers it and keeps on wailing, eventually hogging all resources to make its point.
Anyway I disabled it in Device Manager (not uninstalled!) so Windows still "sees" it but remains sullenly silent.
Hopefully it will remain like this!:tongue:
Thanks for your help,
Martin.

·
Banned
395 Posts
There's a driver clean-out utility that gets recommended here regularly, but I've never used it and can't remember it's name.

As I understand it, a "ghost" of a bad driver is stored, and everytime you insert the hardware, the bad driver causes problems. You have to get rid of the bad one and then XP will self-install a good one. There's a software to do that. Maybe someone will come along and post it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.