Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MS have been revealing some of the new stuff for Office 12, due in 2006. Excel will now have over 1 million rows and 10,000 columns - holy moses!! That will be some size of spreadsheet. There will be new 'floating' toolbars, conditional formatting will be expanded well past 3 options and nesting functions will increase from 7 to 64.(Trying to read 64 IF levels sounds a bit scary!) Also, every menu command, yes every menu command will be accessible via the keyboard.

Now that all sounds very impressive, and I'm sure it will be. After all, Excel has not really changed since 97. BUT, surely there will be backward compatibility issues here. If company A sends a regular file to company B, and company A upgrades and the file now contains 250,000 rows, what are company B going to do? My own employer has just completed an upgrade of all PCs to XP and Office XP. There is no way that they will upgrade to Office 12. I suspect many other companies will be in a similar position.

Interesting to see how MS position this version. As an Excel user who regularly writes code the prospect of some of the changes are long overdue and very exciting. But I suspect it will be a good few years before I will upgrade again.

Regards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.