Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This started about four days ago. I was playing Batman:Arkham Asylum when everything froze up, things got all pixelated and such, then I had to just turn off my PC. I ended up turning the settings down on the game, and this allowed me to play. However, when I fired up CoD:4 later, the same thing happened after 20 seconds of play. I turned it off again, and when I booted it back up, the screen was at a low resolution, and there were red and green pixels all over the screen. I'm running off my mobo's on board GPU right now and it's at least working correctly in the right resolution. I've tried putting the card back in after letting it cool for the night and it still comes back on with the distortions and such. I have checked to make sure the fan on the card is running too. I'm thinking the culprit might be my power supply, or just the card getting overheated from the new Batman game. (This all started shortly after I started playing Arkham Asylum)

Anyway, here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply
Mobo: MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital
Ram: 4x Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800

Also, if my card is dead, I'll be investing in a eVGA GTS 250 1GB card. I'd like to know what kind of PSU I'd need to run that.

All help is greatly apreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add, my 8800GT has 512 MB memory.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
The power supply is the most likely suspect. I would recommend no less than a Corsair 550 for that video card and a Corsair 650 would be even a better choice. It doesn't take much power to pull the onboard, but that 8800GT takes some power. Here is what I would be looking at if it were mine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=corsair_power_650-_-17-139-005-_-Product

However, if you are planning on upgrading in the near future to a larger card, then plan on the 750 watt Corsair. They actually are very close in price to the 650 watt and well worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm gonna order the 650w one tomorrow. I checked the quicklist and it said that a GTS 250 would work just fine on a 650w PSU. I have one more question though. How can I tell if my 8800 is permabroken? I'd much rather not have to replace my card...

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I would suggest you try it in either another power supply that you might be able to borrow from a friend, or even try that video card in a friends computer. Might be worth a try before you go too far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did a bit of research and I might have found another problem. It turns out that my mobo has an on board ATI chipset. I've heard this leads to problems, so now I'm not sure what to do. : /

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.