Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have this thing when I started up my PC when I clicked 2 or more tabs on FF very soon after first opening it the net just crapped itself and wouldn't let anything net related open, aside from mIRC if it was open prior to the net going down but I couldn't open a new one, only fix was restarting. If I waited like 5-10 mins after startup it never happened. The internet icon never changed and the troubleshooter would always say it was working fine. Recently it's started happening at random times no matter how long the PC has been on even if I just click a forum banner or something- everything internet related will stop working/refuse to open other than my mIRC window if it was already connected, but I can't PM anyone or join any new channels. Usually lasts 5-10 minutes and then the FF page that froze will load and everything will work again. I've also tried IE and Chome, same result.

It's become extremely annoying now as it's very frequent and can last from as little as 5 minutes to 32 mins(longest so far). I've downloaded nothing new/added no new hardware and the PC is a gaming PC that I built around a year and a bit ago.

I've scanned with MBAM, Nod32, and Zone Alarm, they've come up with nothing. I'm really hoping someone here has an idea what's wrong because I'm very close to just reinstalling to get rid of this huge annoyance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,982 Posts
It's probably something running in the background since all browsers are affected. Try changing your AV from automatic to notifying you so you can update definitions manually. Think of other programs that are set to run in the background or since you built the unit, if your fans are sufficient since heat can cause the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My AV already does that. Fans on my CPU and graphics card are fine, as are the case fans. I can't think of any program that could be causing it, I recently Googled every single process in my task manager too, all the ones I didn't know came up as legit processes.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,982 Posts
We're both probably grasping at straws here, but try updating the firmware for your router and testing your modem. Run the modem test a few times since the problem is intermittent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.