Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, EVERY single video file format will load up, then hang my computer. mouse will move every 15 or so seconds. i just reformatted for the 2nd time and it was perfectly fine this time, until i copied all my brothers video files from a backup hdd to my windowsxp hdd, in his documents folder.

any solutions? ill do the windows xp repair install if theres no suggestions...

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
It's possible the files may be infected with a virus. The files also may have become corrupt in the transfer process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i used Avast virus scanner and it found nothing in the files. is it possible to delete these files and fix the problem without a complete reinstall like i did last time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldmn said:
I take it these worked before you had some problem?
yes it worked fine, last time it screwed up i reformmated, got my sound drivers and went online to watch a streaming vid, then one from my hdd just to make sure it wasnt messed up. Then i copied all my brothers songs from my backup hdd into his Documents and left the house. he goes on and says any video he watches crashes. coincidence after i copied over his videos? avast didnt detect a virus...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Have you tried runing each file from the backup drive to see if there is perhaps 1 format that is the problem or even one file. Suggestion delete the files you copied, if this removes the problem. Open the file on the backup drive and if it works copy it over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
instant lockup when trying to watch from my other hdd...

oh well, reinstall time again... at least this give me an excuse to try out that triple boot with xp, osx, and suse then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the files are corrupt but it sounds like a problem on your end too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.