Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate section for this thread because my problems are wide-ranging.

My old laptop (an Acer Aspire 7551G) suddenly stopped being able to run a certain game (Aion) a few months ago after a routine patch for that game. It no longer progresses past the initial loading screen. The developer's support agents have not been able to figure out the problem.

In the process of trying to fix this I have used the "Reset this PC" option, and after that didn't solve the problem I used the Windows 10 media creation tool and booted from a USB stick to wipe the C drive from the command line using the "clean" command in diskpart. I then installed Windows 10 again (there was a hiccup in the OS installation process where I was stuck with the "just a moment..." screen, after a few restarts, running diagnostics and disabling the wifi chip, I was able to get past this although I'm not sure what specifically fixed it).

With the hard drive wiped and a clean installation of Windows 10, the very first thing I did was install Aion and attempt to run the game, and ran into the same issue. This was a few days ago.

Today, the trackpad stopped functioning even though it had been working in this new Windows installation. I usually use a USB wireless mouse (which does still work) so I don't know when exactly the trackpad stopped functioning. I have updated the Synaptic drivers to both the older driver recommended on Acer's site, and the newest Windows 10 version from Synaptic's site, and neither worked. The newer driver of the two doesn't even seem like it installed correctly despite the installer saying it was successful, I say this because Device Manager doesn't list Synaptic under Mice or Human Interface Devices, and under PS/2 Compatible Mouse properties it lists the driver as being provided by Microsoft, and the driver date is from 2006. The older Synaptic driver also didn't work, but it did show up in Device Manager before I uninstalled it. I've rebooted several times.

Also, one of the tech support agents for my game asked me to install and run Speccy. I'm familiar with Speccy and used to run the program without issue on the laptop. Now it only reads the OS, DVD drive and speakers, with everything else stuck at "Analyzing". I have tried the newest version and an older version of the program. Oh, and when I close the program, Task Manager shows that it's still running under Background Processes, using up some memory, and I'm unable to end the task. I have to reboot to kill the process.

That laptop used to have a functioning trackpad and run Aion and Speccy, all on Windows 10 and all at the same time, and there have been no changes to the hardware since the last time it was able to run all of the above. I'm out of ideas. What is going on with my laptop lately? Could there be a larger issue at play? Any help solving or even narrowing down these issues, or finding whether or not they're connected would be greatly appreciated.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, I am sorry your computer experience is not what you would like it to be. Press the win + x keys together and select command prompt(Admin) an elevated cmd prompt will open. At the prompt type:-

chkdsk/r (press enter) you will be told that chkdsk cannot run since the volume is in use and do you want to schedule a chkdsk at boot, press Y and restart computer. Chkdsk will run and can take a long time, .It will produce a summary when finished, if you can let us know what it says.

Next, open another elevated cmd prompt (as shown) and this time type:-

sfc/scannow (press enter) system file checker will run, let us know what it reports.

Your HDD may be failing, I am suspecting it is the original?

In addition so we can know more about your system open another cmd prompt (elevated as shown). Copy and paste the following text (in red, does not need to be copied in red):-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, notepad will open please copy paste the contents here (or attach them).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you said chkdsk can take a long time, is it normal for it to sit on 10% completion for ~4 hours? That's where I am right now.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,836 Posts
If it sticks at Stage 4, that means bad sectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left chkdsk going while I was at work, it was still at 10% when I left. When I got home the laptop was asleep, and I just woke it up and don't see any sort of report.

Also, the HDD is not the original; it was replaced by a local repair shop about a year ago. I don't know how old the HDD they gave me is.

I just ran the sfc scan and it didn't detect any integrity violations. I attached to this reply the txt file with the requested system information.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
As stated, if Check Disk stalls at 10% for a long time, then that means the HDD has Bad Sectors and is starting to fail. It may have some life left in it, but it is at the end of it's life cycle. Some of drivers and files, like for Speccy or your Trackpad may be on these Bad Sectors and will be corrupted. If Check Disk finished, it will have tried to move any files on Bad Sectors to Good Sectors near by, if there are too many Bad Sectors, Check Disk will not be able to move those files and those files will be corrupted.
To view the Check Disk log try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html
The bottom line is, the HDD needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. Well, I attached the chkdsk log, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for that. With this log, are we totally sure that I should replace the HDD? And if so, is there a particular type I should buy for this laptop?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of my problems have been fixed since running chkdsk, although I haven't tried reinstalling anything since then, either. Worth a try?

·
7,738 Posts
Hi, a clean install will most likely fix your problem, however it is caused by the system process sihost.exe that is not responding, this is a needed windows system file and causes the sort of symptoms you describe. It is possible that malware has effected your machine, malwarebytes or superantispyware would usually find and remove the culprit.

You could also try to reregister the executable, open an elevated cmd prompt, press the win + x keys together, select command prompt(admin) from the options, at the prompt (if it is c:\windows\system32) type:- sihost.exe /regserver (press enter) the taskbar icons flash off and on, no other indication is noticed, restart computer.

In addition you may have success if at the cmd prompt you type:-

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (press enter) this uses windows update to repair the image and takes 15-20 mins, restart computer afterwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Malwarebytes turns up nothing, and I followed the other two steps which have had no discernible effect on the computer's behavior. I certainly can do a clean Windows install, but I've been having these issues since before doing a clean installation the other day. Is there reason to expect a better outcome from doing it again?

·
7,738 Posts
Hi, depends on your budget, either cut your loses and invest in a new computer OR get a new HDD (ssd would be best). To do a clean install you need to format the HDD and start again, make sure you have good media to install from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.