Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on 'every second' and 'once a second' and couldn't find anything on this particular issue.

Anyway, my parents have a sony vaio they bought a few years back. I'm not sure what model number. With the exception of the video card, which I've ruled out as the problem, is stock.

1.3G Celeron
256M
60G drive
ATI 9000Pro -added

The problem is that every second the computer seems to 'hang' for lack of a better description. It's noticeable when you slowly drag the mouse across the screen. It's really noticeable when he's got a game loaded. It's perfectly in time with the task manager updates. During our troubleshooting, we went so far as to use another 80G drive that he had laying around.

I put this post here because I know it's not the OS that's causing it. During POST, the cd drive access light (not the one on the drive itself) starts blinking in the same interval that we're seeing the hiccup. This happens BEFORE the OS is even loaded.

I looked in BIOS to see if maybe there was monitoring turned on and there isn't. In fact, on this particular PC, there isn't much you can do in BIOS.

I'm looking for feedback! If you've seen this or anything similiar, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
didnt you hear what he said? this happens BEFORE the OS even boots, surely it cant be software related rite?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Yes I heard what he said. I would still rule out viruses. Some viruses load very early in the boot process.

Then I would go to the device manager and look for errors there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.