Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, after a bit of a hand really.

First of all, the infected machine isn't mine, it's a friends, I'm helping her out. Basically, any program (as well as a couple of Services) crashes when started up, and I'm greeted by the Windows 'Send Error Report' message. This means that I can't run any sort of program successfully (or extensively, at least) before it gives up and keels over. I have managed to remove Win Anti-Virus (that fake removal program) from the system, along with stopping the Symantec Services which error, as the Error Report message was popping literally every 5 seconds. Unfortunately, Norton expired the other day (don't like the program myself) which is a complete pain that the virus decided to wreak havok now. I have managed to get AVG 8 (free) onto it, and 5 seconds into a scan before that failed and the Core Programs disappeared completely, leaving AVG completely and utterly useless. I'm convinced something is in the C:\WINDOWS directory as I've checked every other folder on her computer for suspicious applications/files, which was slightly successful. I don't fancy combing through the WINDOWS folder manually, as I'll be there forever.

I have tried running the system in Safe Mode, which gives me the same Error Report issues unfortunately. To be honest, I'm pretty much exhausted of ideas, and I'm considering re-installing Windows. Though before I do this, as a last resort option, is there anything else I could try, or has anyone else come across this at all?

(By the way, no restore points, and the Advent System Restore program doesn't work, so I can't roll back the PC).

Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read Before Posting Malware Removal Help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.